Chapter 18 Ramifications

Otto stared at the coming sunrise, absentmindedly. He stared through the towering glass windows of artisanal perfection. Not a trace of that night lingered in the physical plane. No specks of shattered glass and no cuts from its sharp edges. But Otto could feel its presence, even though he was unconscious at the time his body could remember the night of his salvation. It was so far up high, the haven Kallen had taken him to, and now the caged designs of the window pane stood in his way. He was back where he started but this time without her. But at least had a different goal in mind, candidates for the position lined up in his head. Kallen's dream would be fulfilled using the method he knew worked.

So Otto gazed out the window knowing the storm that was already taking shape within the hearts of the weak and strong. He didn't even have to say much, he didn't even have to goad them against each other. This was the nature of humanity, or so he thought. Those words, that factual statement sounded so false when spoken in his mind.

The golden clouds of the morning promised another brilliant day but for most its start was far from peaceful. Boots scampered against the morning dew that pooled between the cobbled cracks. Armor cackled heavily as guards took in pursuit of the thin man that frantically ran from them.

"He's heading down the Eleventh street cut him off on the Ninth."

"Yes, captain!"

People parted and watched with mixed emotions as the church dished out its justice. The string bean ran from two burly cabbages. Despite the difference in weight, the guards were gaining on the frail man steadily. The man's eyes searched the crowd for help and he saw none. He gritted his teeth and instead looked for a hiding spot.

'Dammit wasn't it, us against the church. At least shelter me from their eyes.' He thought. If there was any comfort in the actions of the people it stemmed from their inaction. At the very least they weren't stopping him.

'I was framed. Framed and the guards won't even let me explain myself. I need-'

His thoughts were interrupted by a leg that stuck out from the crowd. He tripped and fell pathetically onto the ground. His assailant was someone he didn't know, a thin young woman of average looks. He could see her in the midst of the morning shuffling, no she didn't even try to hide.

"Caught you!"

"No, wait! I'm not a dealer. I've never consumed soap in my life."

"The bag of seeds found by your house says otherwise." The captain grunted, preparing cuffs for the man. A hand waved rudely in front of him caught his attention. The woman who had tripped the sinner stood before him. "Can I help you, ma'am?"

"I caught one, didn't I? Give me a pardon I've got kids to feed."

Her expression was haughty, the captain scanned the crowd behind her. There were no children behind her, or in the vicinity but that was no true indicator. They could have been with their other parent or eating at a soup kitchen. The Kaslana family provided food for many of the poor, it counted on the charity of the people and the riches of the businesses to set up. But hunger wasn't the only problem the poor faced. Skyrocketing house prices and rent meant that many were without shelter. The prices of goods also soared, and clothing was harder to acquire. The many places that offered a safe haven resorted to crime to keep them a loft.

"Very well. Thank you for your help ma'am." The captain said as reached into his sack for the official pardons he carried at all times. He brought out his stamp and marked the paper accordingly. The woman received it without a word and quickly disappeared into the crowd, avoiding dreadful gazes. Gazes that were never once directed at the guards.

"That bitch. Wait. Wait! I know a supply growing site. If I reveal it will you forget this ever happened?" The thin man crawled on the palm of his hands as the two guards hunched in to claim them.