Chapter 49 Reputation

Chapter 49

Hush tones accompanied the Overseer's entourage. Twelve golden-laced carriages all adorned with the winged cross insignia of the church were followed by a caravan full of lavish goods that the common people couldn't afford. Speaking of services the common folk couldn't afford, two entire platoons of Valkyries guarded his Excellency with the utmost loyalty. To say the least, it wasn't a welcome sight, especially that eye insignia carved into the Overseer's carriage. Like all noble families, the Apocalypse family used their stigmata as their symbol. All marks were unique and strangely stylish, a sign they were gifted from god, or so the church says.

Schicksal's reach was waning. Were stigmata truly marks of God's chosen? Protectors for the common folk? From Honkai? Oddly enough Koleston hadn't experienced any Honkai raids in recent months. Coupled with the new system that Frederick Kaslana implemented, an era of peace bloomed like a miraculous white iris in winter. The Apocalypse family wasn't welcome or at the very least not thought too highly of.

The delegation continued through the streets stopping at Koleston's grand Cathedral. There at the doors stood Frederick Kaslana, dashing and handsome to the public. The playboy that in the past two months ran the city as city lord. He wore a reserved expression, Cain's letters reached him and his siblings. He watched over Koleston and the rest of them kept an eye on the other major cities. They would resist her execution as much as they could but would they be enough? What if the Apocalypse family didn't budge? Otto was in hiding but perhaps he should have received that letter by now. He would know what to do.

The Apocalypse carriage door opened and a red carpet descended from the steps of the Cathedral. A little bit of shock and awe struck every person within the open square and necks craned to catch a glimpse of the woman who exited the carriage. Flowing sunlight hair, the most viridescent emerald eyes, and a proper dazzling smile graced the crowd. Perhaps the Apocalypse family wasn't so terrible after all. Risa Apocalypse was beyond angelic.

"Sir Frederick Kaslana, I was expecting a warmer welcome."

A brow twitched and veins popped upon his brow. He stuck out a hand for Risa to shake, his gaze unbearably intense.

"I was expecting the Overseer."

"I'm afraid his Excellency is busy elsewhere. He aims to persuade your uncle to cooperate."

"And Kallen?" Fred growled.

"Your cousin? Isn't she dead?"

They stared at each other for quite some time. A little too long. Onlookers ogled at the pair and the gossipers chirped away. A union? A romance? Was there something special between the two? It seemed so because once Risa let go of his hand she called forth the goodwill of the Kaslanas.

The caravan wagons responded to the wave of her fan. Luxurious goods and supplies were handed out to the most unfortunate within the crowd. Charity, low prices, and items of high desire enriched those within the square. It was safe to say they've been bought, at the very least Risa Apocalypse was a true angel, a saint.

"What's your purpose here?" Frederick growled. In the face of being taken advantage of, he was holding quite well. The people were also a grand deterrent for his more unethical desires. There was no doubt, behind Kallen, came Frederick in terms of family strength.

"I rather you loosen your presence, Kaslana. I'm here to sort out the trouble caused by a certain thief and improve my brother's reputation. For this goal, you should provide me with the utmost care and assistance, no?"

"So the announcement that the Overseer will return to Koleston was all but a hoax?"

Risa smiled but didn't answer the question he posed. She walked past him into the Grand Cathedral, there was something she wished to admire. Something she wished to below the Church, the tunnels of a lost civilization, Emelia had scouted them out for the organization months prior.