Chapter 30 Innocent

A few days since Otto encountered with the grizzled veteran. He paced back and forth, upon empty air in over the endless void of the Archives. His brow was furrowed into a tight scowl as he thought back to the fateful night. His sister was behind the man, no doubt. His father wouldn't employ such interesting characters under him. Obedience was absolute and Otto didn't initially put too much focus on the countries beyond his city. But he was forced to confront the matter when Shakespeare brought up her network.

"Verse, we don't just operate here. There are several other cities of interest. Paris, Vienna, and the so fortunate City of Bounty."

"I'll focus on Koleston now." Otto had dismissed her offer at the time. He wasn't going to trade information with Shakespeare and neither would she. It was as he said, she couldn't ignore the risk.

"You shouldn't be so fixated on the Holy Son. You know what? It's awkward to call him such."

"Then should we call him, Devil?"

"No, let's just go by his name. Otto. We'll call him Otto."

While that conversation ended at the time the ideas stuck with him. What did he know? Germany was safe or should be. Eleanor and Vera were there and under the Duchess's protection. France was in ruin, the power vacuum left by the fall of the Burrus had brought upon a miniature war behind curtains. His father was dealing with that as of this moment, his sister may be as well though he couldn't be sure. Vienna and Austria were strangely quiet. Constantinople was silent as well though it didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Certain events had left the religious hub crippled.

In the end, the plan to rope in all of Europe within five years seemed more possible. But at its end could he win? Could he win? Could he beat his father and sister and all else that corrupted the world? After that could he defeat the Void Archives in a battle of wills?

'You're a quite puzzled boy. Is the success of the latest log enough to warrant some joy?'

Otto looked up at the Void Avatar, a void space avatar of his own child body. It was suspended on his back by a chain that snaked its way from the rails of the endless spiral column stairs. It was reading a book.

'HEY!'

With a thought, Otto conjured the information to his side. What book was so important that the Void Archives would take interest in it? What information could it contain?

'Give that back you thieving child! You foolish clown! Why do you enjoy torturing me so!'

"This... is just entertainment. Fantasy Kingdoms, wait there are controls here."

'It's a piece of technology too precious for you to handle. It's for children anyways. You're much too old to be playing with such foolery.'

Unable to call back the book, the Void Archives floated over the snatch the strange conjuration away from Otto's inquisitive hands.

'Focus on your experiments boy. Don't intrude on my privacy.'

"It's only fair... After all, you're able to see and feel everything I do. Even the night Kallen and I spent together. I should have never-"

'That's not how my functions work, boy. Privacy was something my creator implemented. How many nights you spend getting hot with your sweetheart is kept from my recollection. Speaking of which, when were you able to bed her? And how many times? I'm asking for research purposes of course."

"That information can be made known, for a price. A divine key."

Otto squinted as the Archives raged on. His eyes widened in shock but that moment was too brief for the VA to catch.