Chapter 63 It Takes One

Sakura was patrolling the village, it was midday, and for once in a long while the people didn't keep their distance. Children revered her, respectfully bowing while staring at her Katana. Cart vendors gave her free food and discounts. The adults were much more relaxed in her presence, for the first time in a long time she could strike up a conversation with anyone. Perhaps it'd be shallow at first but eventually, the subjects that interested her most were brought up.

"I have a batch of salted cherry blossoms from the last bloom but I don't have enough extra rice to make sweets."

"Is that so then I'll pick a batch of wild rice on my next patrol."

"What?! Oh, you don't have to. I could never trouble you."

"It's fine I insist, besides I pass by the stalks every day. I won't thresh it for you though."

"If you insist then thank you. Is there anything you want? I'll give you the first batch, just stop by Chisaka's."

"Thank you. Though if it's not too much trouble can ask you how you make your Sakura mochi?"

"Ah, Miko. It's quite simple. The secret is the temperature. Heat your room until you start to lightly sweat on a futon. Then carefully steam the rice, and add a little sugar water, and vinegar. You then want to cool it in a colder room and the rest of the steps are much of the same."

"Thank you, Hana."

"It's nothing," Hana said shaking her head. She looked to the hills full of Sakura trees, spring was coming. The faint sweet scent of cherry blossoms and pollen warmed the air. The buds on those precious trees gave color to the back of the gray and green forest. Sakura could discern it better than anyone, this year's spring would be long-lasting and joyous.

"They're going to bloom most beautifully this year."

"Yes."

"Do you have something on your mind?"

"I just want to apologize. I hope the traveler succeeds."

The sentiment was sincere, the implications obvious. Sakura couldn't help but remember what Katsuki said. It takes courage, but once one rises so will the rest. Her eyes glanced at the villagers that were listening in the conversation. This seemed to be their start, their rise. A light sweat had broken among them but their hearts were steady.

"I hope she succeeds." Sakura lightly smiled. "I'll bring the stalks of rice tomorrow have a good afternoon."

"Yes, have a pleasant afternoon." Hana bowed hastily. This was the start, it was clear Sakura couldn't forgive them. At least not yet. Regardless, they had to treat her well. They caused her pain and despite this she protected them. If only they were brave enough to defy traditions then perhaps the village would be even more prosperous.

Sakura reached the end of the village, the rice fields, and stretches of land. A soft sea breeze blew at her hair cooling her emotions. It was impossible to forgive them at the moment, it took more courage to stand against Sato's ceremony than it was to ask for Sakura's forgiveness.

After a moment of clarity, Sakura resumed her patrol. Today the gravel was shaking despite Sakura's light steps, she made her way to the shrine path where the wild rice grew. A few stalks were picked just as she promised.

Boom! Boom!

Trees fell and birds chirped. Sakura instantly dropped the rice she had picked. Her legs carried her faster than divine wind. From tree to tree, branch to branch Sakura blinked through the forest, her hand on her sword ready to defeat the beast that dared threaten Yae village.