Chapter 45 Possessed

Kallen could not have been in a worse mood. Even the villagers were missing Otto even though he had only been around for half a day. Perhaps it had something to do with the gifts he had left, food, new clothes, and recipes, he had too much time to kill while braving the waves. But Kallen knew better. Otto was able to provide all the villagers something she couldn't and that was safety and comfort. She was a hero was she not? She protected them. Yet while she helped them carry things they needed, and irrigate the water they so desperately needed, she failed to appeal to their values. The Kaslana justice was just too overbearing, especially the way she enforced it.

"You've got such an ally. Why won't he stick around?" Sato asked. He was as arrogant as ever slyer than a fox.

"Just focus on getting the villagers to safety. The fishermen and tradesmen should be ready by tomorrow." Kallen snapped.

Ears pricked as Kallen moved up the date for their departure. A bit of dissent was sowed within the villagers but then again their lives were ultimately more important than their village that lay in ruins. Some of them even wanted to flee immediately.

"If he was here everything would go smoothly. You should have made him stick around. Using every one of your assets." Sato said. He scanned her head to toe, before smirking. It was all a mockery there wasn't an ounce of desire in his eyes and that was all due to his uncontrollable lust for power. All-giving desperate lust that would have him sell his soul for power. "Polygamy is fine no? If you're stronger than him you should have pushed him down. Bring Sakura into the mix. Give him the taste of a woman of the east."

Sato pushed as far as he could. Kallen couldn't lose her temper in front of the villagers, they needed a strong sense of security not rampaging head. Besides, she had done what Sato said once before and she was even tempted to do so last night.

"If you weren't so keen on throwing women away maybe you would have stopped your useless sacrifices and moved the land instead."

Sato gave a strained smile to Kallen's rebuke. It wasn't just Kallen's protection that won the villagers over. Her immeasurable strength allowed her to wander further into the mountains and forest to find sources of water for the village. Using such strength she dug irrigation canals that solved the drought issues that plagued the village.

Now if she could turn the saltwater river by the village into freshwater the village would turn to her side on every matter. Luckily for Sato, Kallen wasn't a god. Even so, the tradition of sacrificing people to the spirits and deities for water was abolished. He led those rituals, the main source of his and his family's power. It was generational power that had lasting effects which were why he still held any power in the village.

"I'll go see the boatmen." Sato conceded.

Kallen smirked as he lumbered away. Otto was always helpful even if he wasn't present. The results of his teasing trained her to respond to lethargic remarks with steady wit. Though she knew she was just a novice at the moment. Otto would talk her tomato red with his silk tongue, something she wished he did last night.

'I'm always relying on him. Aren't I?' Kallen thought as she looked over the railing down at the people in the common space. The food smelled amazing, after eating rice for so long the residents couldn't help but dig into Otto's generosity. 'Even the idea of flowing water came from him.'

Kallen felt the past overtake her senses. A blissful time where none of the bad had ever happened. Her father was still alive and she rushed to finish her daily practice to spend all the hours of the day with Otto.

"Why are we digging tunnels, Otto?" Kallen asked. Her childish eyes sparkled with curiosity. She had stolen the equipment from the garden shed and was happily digging away at Otto's instructions.