Chapter 41 Trust

"It's a trap but Verse won't refuse to answer the call."

The midnight wind whistled past the red auburn hair. The mask of a hummingbird with green gold accents puckered the low-hanging coming autumn fog. She sneaked between alleyway shadows and under low-hanging balconies to avoid the watchful eyes of the guards. By her side was her ever-faithful sidekick, Hawk. His mask was as sharp-sighted as his pseudonym.

"He may be able to handle it on his own."

"Like the drug factory? I think not. According to his information, there were no high-level members in the area at the time. The organization isn't as powerful as the church, which can be seen in the underground war they're waging. Dove's report indicated that the Black Rose is focusing its manpower on combating the church in Paris but if they're targeting Verse they're sure to spare some powerful members. Assassination attempts were thwarted and all families were afraid of both parties. The church buys time with scapegoats and the mysterious organization that runs under the city."

"Yes yes. You quite love exposition. Speaking of exposing or revealing things. Why is the city so bright at a time like this? Moving around has gotten more difficult."

Shakespeare didn't answer the question. Out of the corner of his, he could see her arms crossed. She was pouting in her own way, how dramatic.

"It's because of what we've done. People aren't scared to have a little fun. To celebrate a bit. I miss these pubs, especially the one by the academy. Ruckers they called it for all the gits in the world. Ha, it feels like this was all done in collaboration between our troupe and the church. Even though I know Verse is manipulating them."

"Why ask questions you know the answers to?"

"I love listening to your stories."

"I'll accept that apology." Shakespeare snorted. "We're here. Yes, the shadow of the clock tower should mark the entrance at three in the afternoon. There are the two statue spearmen. The next line talked about a memorial. A place to remember what was lost. A forest of seeds and deathly wrought, avoided like a plague so illy got."

"What if it's not the Koleston Grand Public Library? It could be talking about the mass burial of Koleston. The Pestartzt slated stone fits the description, only it's covered in the early day instead of the afternoon."

"People still visit the family's cremated remains. It's a place that holds more honor than common cemeteries and people certainly didn't forget about the plague. While the library is barren and made of trees. Or ideas whichever the poet refers to."

"But there's no one here."

"There is. Look!"

The masked figure they were so familiar with leaped onto the slanted roof of the structure. It was made of pearl limestone, designed to look like the impressive columns of the Pantheon in Athens Greece. Eight pillars supported the front roof before the entrance, standing up a brick red granite stylobate, that was connected to a set of weathered marble stares. Various engravings of saints decorated the outer walls. The giant red oak doors were unsophisticated unlike the rest of the building. Plain but standing at three times the height of a normal man.

"Let's see if we can help him," Shakespeare said. Dashing under the side of the building Verse leaped from.

Hawk followed suit and they waited for guidance. The pair had gained the ability for sneaking around. But stealth and combat were two completely different areas of expertise. Given the few months they had to utilize their stealth capabilities, they were at best at the expert level of mastery, just below complete mastery.

The figure suddenly dropped behind them without making a sound. He tapped their shoulders causing them to jump back in surprise. Hawk defaced a wall saint while Shakespeare fell on her bum.