Chapter 2: A Lesson In Belonging

"Careful Grim," Obi-Wan told her, as he watched his padawan practice using her new lightsaber. Grim had begun to attempt some more dangerous stunts.

"Always am," replied Grim, though she stopped doing the more dangerous stunt.

"I struggle to believe that, considering some of our first interactions," Obi-Wan replied.

Grim shrugged, "outliers, you haven't known me for that long."

Obi-Wan sighed and shook his head with a small smile. "Let me show you," he said, going over to Grim's side. "Copy my movements, alright?"

"Yes master," said Grim.

Obi-Wan took out his own lightsaber and activated it. "Ready?" he asked her.

"Ready," she replied.

Obi-Wan began and Grim matched his movements, at first she struggled and it took a moment to copy his movements as she lagged behind.

Though after a while she copied his movements harmoniously, as if they danced. Obi-Wan moved one way and Grim followed, he moved the other and so did Grim. A beautiful harmonious dance. She smiled as the two soon began to move in sync. Grim had begun to get a feel of the moves, and didn't have to watch Obi-Wan to know what came next, she had gotten a hang of the pattern, mapping it in her brain.

She laughed a bit, "I'm doing it," she said with a grin. "I'm doing it!"

"And you're doing great," he told her with a smile. This continued for a few moments more before they stopped, Grim was beaming with pride. Good job Grim,” Obi-Wan told her. “Let’s do some meditation next-” his commlink beeped, interrupting him. “After I take this, one moment Grim.”

“Alright,” Grim said, a little disappointed that their training had been interrupted. Though she supposed that would happen often with the galaxy being at war and Obi-Wan being one of the most prominent generals. She leaned against the wall as she waited on her master to finish the call, after he came back over to her Grim asked him, “What was it about?”

Obi-Wan sighed and shook his head, “Anakin is about to do something reckless, I’m afraid.”

“Again?” asked Grim, sighing.

“Unfortunately so,” replied Obi-Wan. “Well, let’s go do some mediation.”

The two Jedi meditated in peace. Grim allowed herself to sink into the force and reach out, connecting with everything. Allowing herself to get a feel for everyone, to focus without worrying about a stray thought spirling her into an anxious panic about the future. It was relaxing and calm.

She saw the sparks of color and light of the force fly across space and time. There was so much light in the galaxy. So many Jedi in the galaxy, there was darkness too, but the light out shined it. The light was bright and the galaxy was full of it.

Obi-Wan’s commlink beeped, and both Jedi were pulled out of their mediation. “My apologies, padawan, I have to take this.”

Grim just waved her hand, “yeah, yeah, I understand.” Obi-Wan gave her an apologetic smile and left the room to talk with whoever was contacting him.

He came back looking incredibly annoyed. “Anakin being reckless again?”

“Unfortunately, he still refuses to listen to me.”

“What’d he do this time?” she asked. “Never mind, it's none of my business.”

“It’s nothing to worry about, my young padawan,” Obi-Wan told her, giving Grim a gentle smile. “Now let’s go back to learning.”