Chapter 20: The Moment Of Truth And The Moment To Lie

The four Jedi were on a walk, heading back to the temple.

The padawans walked behind their masters holding hands, as the older two talked. "So what's the rush?" Anakin asked Obi-Wan.

"The Jedi Council has called an emergency meeting," Obi-Wan explained to his former padawan.

Anakin sighed, "I can see it now, another long boring debate."

"Would you rather they call you in to train younglings?" Ahsoka teased him.

Anakin chuckled, "are you crazy? I'd probably kill them."

Grim grimaced at Anakin's joking comment.

A scene flashed in her mind's eye; a young boy, terrified asking Anakin what they were going to do, and then the ignition of the fallen Jedi's blue blade.

Grim shook her head, shaking the thought out, there was still time before that happened. Still the thought burned into her head for just a while longer. She closed her eyes and took a breath, everything was alright. Anakin was still a Jedi, she didn't have to worry about him falling and becoming a Sith Lord, not yet.

Instead to ease her fear, Grim smiled and made a joking comment as well, "yeah, Anakin and younglings aren't a good mix."

Everyone laughed a little at that.

All of the sudden blaster fire started to rain down as someone began to shoot at them. The four Jedi rolled behind some crates.

Grim, Ahsoka and Anakin behind one and Obi-Wan behind another. "Any idea where that shot came from?" Obi-Wan asked.

"A sniper," Ahsoka replied pointing to the top of a nearby building. "I see him up there."

"Alright, here's the plan," Obi-Wan told the three of them. "Anakin, you flank him from the right," Anakin nodded with a grin. "Ahsoka and Grim you cover the lower streets," the two padawans nodded. Though Grim had a sickening feeling something big was about to happen. This was from an episode she had seen but Grim couldn't remember which just yet. "I'm going after him," Obi-Wan finished explaining.

She remembered, as she did her eyes went wide. She grabbed Obi-Wan's wrist and stared up at him. "Master, please don't do this," she whispered.

Obi-Wan gave Grim a sad smile. They both knew what was going to happen. What was happening at this very moment.

There was a small moment of silent understanding between the Master and his Padawan. "I have to. You're brave, little one. You can handle this," he replied. His voice was just low enough so only Grim could hear.

Tears shimmered in her eyes. How was she supposed to play along with this? How was she supposed to let him do this, knowing the reasons why? She already kept so many secrets and told so many lies.

How many more?

"Please," she said again.

"I have to," he said again. "It's going to be alright, little one. We both know it."

She let go. "Okay."

She returned to Ahsoka's side and the four Jedi ignited their lightsabers.

Obi-Wan and Anakin's blue blades shined, and then Ahsoka activated one of her shimmering green lightsabers, finally Grim ignited the purple blade that stood apart from the others.

The padawans ran side by side, as they watched the rooftops for the sniper.

Anakin's voice came in through the comm, "I lost him! Obi-Wan do you have anything?"