Chapter 16: A Taste of Darkness

Umbara.

It had taken a lot to convince the Council to allow her to go on such a dangerous mission. Even then she was still stuck with Obi-Wan. That was the wrong Jedi to start the mission off with. Not that she wouldn't rather be with him, however if she was going to change the outcome of this mission being with Obi-Wan was going to do little good.

Grim stood between Obi-Wan and Anakin as Master Kenobi explained the plan. "Masters Krell and Tiin will be supporting my troops in the south while Anakin's battalion comes in from the north and takes out enemy reinforcements. It is imperative that we conquer the capital city as quickly as possible and hold it."

"Our biggest problem is going to be the local militia. The Umbarans have aligned themselves with the Separatists and are heavily armed," added Anakin. "ARC Trooper Fives will be assisting my units on special assignment."

"Ready to do my part, General Skywalker," Fives replied.

"Remember, Anakin, Cody, Grim, and I will be twelve klicks to your south. We're counting on you to take out those local fighters or I'm afraid the capital will never surrender," Obi-Wan told Anakin.

Cody and you maybe, I'll be just behind Skywalker, thought Grim.

Anakin sighed, "does my battalion have to do everything?"

"You seem to always volunteer," Obi-Wan replied. He and Cody walked away with the other men from the 212th following. Grim hesitated just behind them to keep up an appearance, before quickly joining Anakin in his gunship just as the doors were closing.

She managed to miraculously not be spotted by anybody onboard, as she stayed in a darkened corner out of the way of the others. Anakin was too preoccupied with the mission to notice the Padawan stowaway.

The outside explosions gently rocked the ship, and as Grim held on tightly she closed her eyes to settle any nerves she might have. Nobody knew, but lives were in her hands again. This was different from the Citadel, and it was going to be far more challenging, but the Padawan reminded herself that she could do it. She changed things before, after all.

The doors to the gunship opened, the lights from the ongoing battle outside filling the ship. Luckily the Padawan managed to remain unnoticed still. "There's a lot of surface fire," said Rex.

"They ain't got nothing we can't handle, sir," Hardcase told Anakin.

Behind them a gunship was shot down, exploding before it even fell past the clouds. Grim bit back a comment that would reveal her location. She was hoping to save the lectures for when she was on the ground. Flying was not her favorite place to be.

"General Skywalker, I'm turning the lights out. Our night vision sensors are having a tough time in this chop," Hawk, the clone pilot informed him. "I hope we don't overshoot the landing sight."

"Just get us as close as you can," replied Anakin.

His comm beeped again. "Anakin, do you happen to know where Grim is?" asked Obi-Wan.

Oh shit.

"What do you mean, Master? I thought she was supposed to be with you?" Anakin asked, there was a hint of concern in his voice.

"I thought she was too, but she isn't here and considering her tendency to be like another Padawan of mine and not follow directions, I thought you might know where she was," Obi-Wan replied.

"Why would I know that, Obi-Wan? I haven't.... nevermind that, I see her," said Anakin. His eyes had spotted the Padawan, who hadn't blended in as well as she thought she had. "It seems your Padawan decided to stowaway with me."