Chapter 40: A Spark Of Light

It was over.

The Jedi Order and the Republic have fallen and the Empire has risen.

The Jedi were dead, and so was Anakin.

Despite all of Grim’s best efforts, Darth Sidious had still won. The story had gone exactly the same. The only thing that had changed, was that she was there.

The two Jedi made their way to Padmé's ship and Grim wasn't sure if she could face her after everything else. Padmé too would die. She had not been able to save anyone in the end.

And the one life she had gone to take, she had failed to do so. She had the chance, but rather than killing him, Grim had left. She had spoken to him and walked away.

Killing him would have been a mercy to all, but she had not done so and it no longer mattered. Grim could not change the story any further.

If the changes she had made even mattered at all.

"Oh Master Kenobi! Grim! We have Miss Padmé on board! Please, please hurry! We should leave this dreadful place at once," Threepio called as they entered the ship.

"Yes, and never return here again," she said, weak and tired. All the pain from the day and the fact she hadn't slept in some time was catching up to her.

She stumbled and almost fell but Obi-Wan caught her. "Careful," he said.

"Thank you," she whispered.

The two of them went over to Padmé. "Obi-Wan...is Anakin alright?" She asked quietly upon noticing him. She still loved him despite everything, Grim felt her heart twist at this fact. She fell unconscious, not noticing her and without a response from either Jedi.

Grim swallowed. No, Anakin was not alright. He would never be again. But he wasn't dead either, not like how Obi-Wan thought, but she would not bring herself to admit that.

Anakin had to be dead, otherwise she had left her brother to suffer despite knowing what was to become of him, and of what would become of everyone he was yet to harm. For there were still so many things she had failed to change, and so many people she had failed to save.

She felt tears filling her eyes again, and she couldn't bear them. She turned around and cried into Obi-Wan's shoulder. He had no words to comfort her, he just hugged her carefully.

Grim tried to hug Obi-Wan back, but her one remaining arm was already wrapped around him. So it was as much of a hug as she could give in her current state.

Obi-Wan ended the hug. "We have to get going."

"Yes, Sidious will be here soon and..." Grim trailed off.

"Neither of us can stand against him in our state, and Padmé needs urgent medical attention."

That's not what she had been thinking. Her thoughts had wondered to her brother that they had left behind. She just nodded instead.

The ride to Polis Massa was a silent one. Obi-Wan piloted the ship as Grim sat in the co-pilot seat.

They had failed, and they had killed their brother.

The ride seemed to last a lifetime as memories flooded Grim's brain, along with the grief.

So many people in her memories were now dead, and Anakin-

She didn't want to think about him.

Grim couldn't think about him, not after all he had done.

She leaned her head against Obi-Wan’s shoulder, the duel had tired her even more. Before she knew it she had closed her eyes and drifted asleep, using Obi-Wan as a pillow.