Chapter 35: Checkmate

This chapter gets kind of dark around the ending of it.
Trigger Warnings: Suicidal thoughts and implied almost attempted suicide (Grim doesn't attempt it but it's implied she had the intention to do so)

The Padawan mediated in the gardens.

Surrounded by life she found her peace. A calm settled into her as she connected with the Force. So much darkness had swirled around her, trying to drag her into its grasp.

Grim allowed herself to connect with the light and acknowledged her fear.

She couldn't allow it to guide her actions further. To cause her to stumble back instead of ahead.

Her fear had already prevented her from telling the Council the full truth. She wanted to. She had intended to, but instead fear seized her.

Grim reached out into the Force and felt the light that surrounded her. The warmth of her family.

Yes, she belonged here.

Those doubts had long since been erased.

The Jedi Temple was her home and the Jedi Order was her family.

Although she knew of what was to become of them in the future she did not focus on that fear, centering on the present. Allowing herself to feel every member of her vast family, to feel their compassion and as she did so a smile crept upon her lips.

This was her home. This was her family.

And tomorrow they will die. The darkness whispered in her ear. The fear crept back into her heart.

She shook her head and focused on the light.

She would not be swayed by her fear, she would hold onto hope, for that was much stronger. She pushed the shadows away and felt the bright gentle lights of the Jedi.

She opened her eyes and saw Obi-Wan watching her from afar, having not wanted to interrupt her peaceful state. "Master," she said in surprise. "How long have you been waiting?"

Obi-Wan smiled at her. "Don't worry, I saw that you were meditating. Would you mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," Grim replied.

He walked over and sat in front of her. "I wanted to speak with you as well."

"Hm? About what?"

"The future. You mentioned that what is happening now marks the ending of what you have been trying to prevent. You told the Council what that is, but you won't allow us to help you."

"Are you asking me to talk about it?" She asked. "To open up about my fears? I know I should, but at this point in time, I am afraid nothing more can be done."

Obi-Wan sighed ever slightly.

She was always stubborn, and he knew that would never go away. "I am asking one more time to give us - or at least just me - a chance to help you. What you're trying to prevent is not something that you should do alone."

Grim pursed her lips together. Considering her master's words. As always he was right.

Though as always her fear won against her logic. "You're right Master, but as I said nothing more can be done."

There was a long silence between them as Obi-Wan saw that his Padawan was too stubborn to let him in.

Eventually he sighed and asked, "do you still wish to meditate with me?"