Chapter 12: The Duchess Of Mandalore

Rumors have been spreading vastly that the Duchess of Mandalore, and leader of the Council Of Neutral System, Satine Kryze was in league with The Separatists.

As such Obi-Wan and his Padawan had been sent to Madalore to investigate the claims.

The two Jedi exited hyperspace in front of the world. Going to land on its surface and exiting their ships. There was a royal guard waiting when they arrived.

"The Duchess has been awaiting your arrival, General Kenobi," he informed Obi-Wan. The guard also nodded to the Jedi Master's Padawan.

"Far be it from me to keep the Duchess waiting," said Obi-Wan as he and Grim got onto the skiff behind the guard.

Grim gave Obi-Wan a teasing and mischievous smile. Obi-Wan noticed the look she gave him but said nothing. Although she had that same mischievous and teasing glint ever since he told her the two would be going to Madalore.

The guard escorted the two Jedi to the palace on Mandalore. When the two entered they both took a moment to appreciate the interior of the palace.

It was far more beautiful to see in person than in animation Grim had to admit. Although this was true of many things.

"General Kenobi," came a voice, greeting him.

The two spotted the man and Obi-Wan returned the greeting. "Thank you for meeting with me, Prime Minister Almec."

The two men shook hands. "I welcome you as a servant of the people, but I am troubled by the false rumors that brought you and your young apprentice here," he told Obi-Wan. "Mandalore would never turn against the Republic. The Duchess Satine values peace, more than her own life."

"Oh I'm aware of the Duchess' views," replied Obi-Wan. He ignored the raised eyebrow and smirk given to him by his Padawan.

"Master Kenobi, Mandalore's violent past is behind us. All of our warriors were exiled to our moon, Concordia. They died out, years ago," Almec told him.

"Hmm. Are you certain?" Obi-Wan asked him. "I recently encountered a man who wore Mandalorian armor, Jango Fett."

"Jango Fett was nothing more than a common bounty hunter," replied Almec, defensively. "How he acquired that armor is beyond me."

Before Obi-Wan could say more a new voice cut in. One that made both Jedi's attention turn to the speaker. "Master Kenobi, my shining Jedi Knight, to the rescue once again," said the Duchess.

She strolled over to her throne and sat down. Obi-Wan looked at her, with a face Grim almost thought was reminiscent of puppy dog eyes. "After all these years you're even more beautiful than ever," Kenobi told the Duchess.

"Kind words from a man who accuses me of treachery," Satine quickly retorted.

Grim had to cover her mouth to hide her small chuckle.

"I would never accuse you of personal wrongdoing, Duchess," Obi-Wan told her. "However, a Separatist saboteur attacked one of our Republic cruisers, a Mandalorian saboteur." He pulled out a Holopad, and showed the recording of a person in full Mandalorian armor shooting and dodging blaster fire.

"You must be mistaken," said Almec. "No Mandalorian would engage in such violence. Not anymore. Where is this prisoner now?"

"He took his own life rather than submit to questioning," Obi-Wan replied. "I know these commanders fought in many wars, often against the Jedi."

"Every one of my people is as trustworthy as I am," said Satine.

"Then I mean no offense, Duchess, but perhaps your trust in your people may be misplaced," replied Grim. "Not every person is who they may seem on the surface, some just keep their dark sides hidden."