+1

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

The Hamilton Golf Clubhouse saw many recurring members and it ranged from families to solo players, from youngsters to the eldest, everyone in pristine clothing with top notch equipment. River enjoyed greeting those she recognised, and often played with the kids who chose to volunteer there so they got something other than people screaming at them for messing up, out of the experience.

The day ahead seemed busy. While the numbers meant a lot to the business, River felt most excited by the buzz it created near the hot spot. The restaurant packed, the mini golf courses and practice nooks in constant use.

"Oi, River!" she heard the familiar rumble of her brother from her side, then soon felt something slam into her shoulder. Soft. It fell to the closely cut grass without trouble. River glanced down to find her brother's glove by her shoes. "Your turn."

Once she tore her gaze from the front, she moved into position and completed her turn. Plenty of practice ensured her flawless hit, and with a smile at her audience, she tipped the front of her baseball cap. With that same movement, she leaned down and grabbed her eldest brother's glove, shoving it against his chest as she passed by him.

"You're awfully distracted today," said Kaia, River's sister-in-law, once she gave the second youngest Hamilton a look over. "Is something the matter?"

River's grip tightened on the top of her golf club while it helped her balance her weight, the question turning over in her mind before she said much. Nothing of worth bothered her, and she didn't feel bothered, to be precise, but something lingered in the air.

With a grin as wide as she could muster, she turned her head towards Kaia and said, "I'm feeling a headache coming on. Perhaps that."

"Riv," her brother called out and she turned, as did Kaia. He sniffled, wiggled his nose, then brushed against it with a finger as he said, "Too much fun last night?"

The slap on the back of his neck came right away as Jade scolded her fiancé. "Alden!"

"You're so annoying," River groaned but didn't deny what her brother insinuated. It wasn't like he said anything that wasn't true. "It's not that."

"Right—you're used to it by now, aren't you?" Dorian, her eldest brother commented, a smug smile stretching his lips whilst he fitted his glove back onto his hand. Before Kaia could've done what Jade did to Alden, Dorian caught her wrist and kissed the heel of her palm. "Too slow, darling."

River raised both of her hands and flipped each of her brothers off, the golf club falling flat against the grass with a quiet thud. "Both of you can do one."

Both of her brothers continued their teasing as they played. While the Hamilton siblings excelled at golf, Kaia and Jade always found it difficult to fall into the game. Kaia not as much as Jade, but River remembered the first time Dorian brought her out for an afternoon. River never laughed so much in her life.