+13

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

The South of France sounded like heaven to River when she received the calendar invitation from her father's assistant. Quickly followed by another invite for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, titled 'Grand Prix De France 2022' since Alden's race magically fell on River's birthday week. It was no surprise they were going to spend it together on the coast of the French Riviera.

What surprised River was when Friday rolled around, and she found herself with a green Paddock Pass around her neck, Aaliyah's arm linked through hers as they made their way across the asphalt, and Harry stopped right in front of her. Aaliyah physically stiffened, even before River had a reaction, and it managed to bring the Hamilton back to the real world quicker.

"Oh," River breathed as she failed to hold her surprise back, the slight awkwardness she did not expect to feel now in complete control of her body. Subconsciously, she rolled her shoulders back, the red material of Alden's team's shirt moved with it smoothly. Funnily enough, it was the same shirt that Harry wore. "I didn't realise you'd be here this weekend."

"I am," he responded, which only added to how awkward River felt. Unable to take her eyes off of him, she stood there like a deer in headlight. The only thing on her mind was their kiss much like it was every day since it happened. Not even Harry's question to Aaliyah could make her move. "I was looking for Jade. Do you know where she might be?"

"Alden's driver's room," Aaliyah said. "I don't think we've been introduced before. You are...?"

Harry straightened up slightly. His eyes averted from Aaliyah's face to meet River's gaze for only a short moment. It was obvious to River that he felt uncomfortable, so she smiled softly like it would help ease his feelings. The exact same way she gave him an out at the art gallery and kissed him like the whole world wasn't watching.

"Harry. Nice to meet you," he said as he put his hand forward to shake on it with Aaliyah. The moment between them made River feel strange, and she noted the cold sweat on the back of her neck. Uneasiness filled the pit of her stomach like she could throw up any second, her throat squeezed, and her breathing seemed to have increased at some point.

As though River's angel knew she needed saving, her cousin fell in her line of vision with ease. He stood out in his yellow corduroy vest and trousers, his feet clad in black leather boots. It didn't take longer than an 'Excuse me' for River to step away from her best friend, and leave her with Harry. In that moment, she forgot about any previous requests from Harry where he wished to meet Aaliyah, but as the thoughts came to her, she knew that her best friend could hold up on her own.

"Lewis!" she called with a large grin on her face, though other than her smile, nothing else was visible. The red team hat she wore covered up her head, and her black framed glasses took up the top half of her face.