+38

+ + +

+ + +

H.STYLES

Harry knew River's birthday was fast approaching but when the days began to fly away from him, the panic set in. He wasn't sure how to appeal to her, what would make the most perfect present. After all, she had everything she could ever need, and even the things she had no use for she likely could've bought herself, and ten times better quality than he could afford.

It was hard to think of anything at first. It felt like he didn't know River at all—which wasn't the case, and he was aware. His anxiety got the better of him until he decided to avoid even thinking about the matter at hand.

Just before he saw her again, after almost a week of them barely speaking, he made a decision, and got the only thing that made sense to him.

When he did see her, there was no awkwardness between them. It felt like they didn't spend a week apart at all. Her arms thrown around his neck, she squeezed him so tightly that he nearly suffocated so he chuckled, and hugged her back just as strongly.

"Darling, my air!" she claimed, her voice sounding muffled. Harry laughed as he let go of her.

"You, Miss Hamilton, need to work less hours. I never get to see you," he complained, though he knew he had a hand in this.

While River was busy, and he also had a tight schedule, there was more to it. Their last argument, for example. Although, to be fair, it wasn't truly an argument. It was Harry and his hurt feelings.

"I apologise," she said. Avoided eye contact, and pulled back slightly like reality set in for her. Harry didn't like it but the way she turned cold made him keep his distance. "I have been busy, you are right."

"Mhm," he hummed. "Are you alright?"

She smiled, and finally looked at him. "I am alright. Tired, perhaps. Happy to be here, though," she told him as she looked around the apartment. It was only the two of them so he hoped they could iron everything out. "I want to apologise for what I did. I should've spoken to you before I got involved in your..." she cleared her throat. "...financial situation."

It was obvious River didn't like talking about this, and it surprised Harry when he learnt about what she did. As annoyed, and slightly angry as he was when he found out, he also didn't understand. For someone who thought talking about money was absolutely taboo, and rude, she had a tendency to spoil Harry.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, and I'm sorry I didn't talk to you. I hope you can forgive me?"

Harry smiled, and caressed her cheek. "I can forgive you for anything, honey. There's nothing you could ever do that would make me not forgive you, regardless of how it initially makes me feel."

She frowned as she said, "I don't want that to be the case," she wrapped her fingers around his wrist, and pulled his hand from her face. "If I hurt you, I want to know. If you feel a certain way about something, I want to know. You are not obligated to forgive me for anything."