+23

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

Awkward conversations didn't exist in River's life until she was caught making out with a man by her brother. Naturally, the moment between her and Harry dissolved into awkwardness but River quickly concealed how she truly felt. The glass in her hand was a comfort, the taste of the drink a way out to lengthen time and buy herself a moment to come back down to earth.

Alden stood there and watched her like a hawk. River decided to be equally as focused on details as she took in the navy trousers he wore, the black shoes, the white shirt with a mid-collar, and his trench coat over it. It seemed like he came from a meeting as opposed to training or straight from the airport.

Both Hamiltons media trained, River caught the moment his mask slipped and revealed his genuine shock. It peaked River's interest because she didn't think Alden would find the situation surprising.

"Riv, a word, please," he called with a smile but awaited no reply as he descended the steps, each movement a soft click against the smooth surface.

River groaned but stood, anyway. When Harry's fingers circled her wrist, she looked towards him without hesitation. Reassurance glanced back at her without words and she felt calm and safe once again, settled as those green eyes brought newfound comfort. Her free hand moved on top of his and gave it a gentle squeeze to show her appreciation then turned and followed her brother before she chose against it and got lost in her own world with Harry.

In no time, she caught up to Alden, though even then they continued to walk for a while. Not even the birds were around when her brother finally came to a halt and faced her. Left without the chance to say anything, Alden got his words out with speed.

"What are you doing?" he asked. The question appeared rhetorical, she decided, when he went on. "I told you to not get involved with him, haven't I?"

The seriousness in his voice was strange. Urgency laced through it like River had done something wrong that would lead to serious consequences. "I'm not doing anything wrong. I don't understand your anger."

Alden laughed in disbelief and cupped his mouth before he dragged it down his chin. "He is your employee. Is that not wrong enough in your book?"

River crossed her arms over her chest as she felt herself become defensive. "Would you like to talk about Mother's previous PA? Oh, how about the French woman who sat on the Adelaide Aid board committee until she did not?"

"You're following in my footsteps, is that it?" he questioned as he mimicked her stance and crossed his arms, too. If Alden was comfortable bringing himself down to make a point there had to be more to his frustration with this.

"That would require me juggling more than one employee on my plate and, as far as I am concerned, that is not the case," she told him as she aimed her words to pierce because Alden's past was messy. More so than hers and that held some weight considering the irresponsible decisions she's made before. "So, no, Alden—I am not following in your footsteps. I can certainly try if you recommend it?" she offered with a smirk, head tilted.