+20

+ + +

+ + +

H.STYLES

Adrenaline kept Harry on his feet and above the waves of water that desperately wanted to drown him at every turn.

Adrenaline, and River Hamilton.

The mix of the two seemed plenty to give him the encouragement to talk to Christian and while it didn't go to plan because of his denial of needing help, Harry didn't give up. Although his own conscious was enough to force his hand, River's teeth in his ears kept him on a secure track.

Work became something they had a shared interest in and it revealed a completely new side to River. Granted, Harry knew she worked hard and to perfection but to see it in person was different. By River being there, Harry felt all the more motivated to bring success to the Clubhouse, though he supposed the fact that she was his boss also played into it slightly.

Unbeknownst to Harry, River was much busier than he imagined, and the hotel developments were not the sole focus of her responsibilities. When she couldn't be available in person, she told him to give her a call on FaceTime at specific points during the day—likely her breaks—or text her if needed. In truth, Harry hated both times he texted her for advice but he realised he never would've gotten his tasks done if he avoided the contact.

It was now nearly a week later, and technically September, when he felt the need to take a step back and do something for himself. It was a bad tendency but Harry often worked himself to exhaustion, which, on reflection, was exactly what he bad mouthed River for.

Although Harry never imagined he would book himself a hotel room at the fanciest chain accommodation he could afford, he had done exactly that. He went ahead and secured himself a massage, then booked in for a sauna. Given that he chose a rural location, he decided to take his hiking equipment and went for a walk on Saturday and Sunday morning. The crisp air between the lush trees, the crunch of branches and pebbles beneath the sole of his shoes soothed him.

To close out the world the way Harry had done for two and a half days did wonders for his mental health. Everything he did during that weekend-and-Monday off was desperately needed, for his connection to nature helped to centre him.

Later, on that Monday, when he properly checked his phone and unmuted his notifications, he found that people were in dire need of him.

River Hamilton was in dire need of him.

The thought made him chuckle. The reality scared the shit out of him.

When the boss leaves twenty-five—exactly twenty-five—missed calls and about forty—exactly forty—messages on one's phone, they should never assume anything good.

Harry decided to save himself, at least he thought that's what he did, and ignored the messages. Instead, he called her right away, phone connected to his car's speaker.