+8

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

Excitement flooded the open garden as guests enjoyed the Michelin star rated catering, the bubbles that swam in the long flutes, golden as always.

River busied herself with Violet Hamilton, the newest addition to the Hamilton family. The little girl was born on the day of the Adelaide Aid Gala to brighten the lives of River's cousin, Harvey, and his fiancée, Eloise. Violet just turned one-month old but she was already a character.

Of course, as a first-born Hamilton for Harvey's family, the little girl was given Adelaide as her middle name. The fact that Violet was born on the day of the gala, and therefore River's third great grandmother's birthday, it would've been wrong not to give her that second name.

Violet had blue eyes for now which, River thought, matched her perfectly. She was tiny, and slept peacefully in River's arms in the shade. Wind blew around them, rustled the green leaves of the trees, and freshened the otherwise stagnant July air.

The first week of July came around much quicker than River anticipated. With it, her birthday neared. Even though it was always a pleasant occasion, for some reason, River shivered at the thought like something was bound to go wrong this time.

"You're a natural," she heard the faint comment before she noted the presence of her brother next to her. Dorian wore a pair of ribbed, navy trousers with a white shirt, also ribbed. His muscled arms tanned, one wrist wrapped in a black leather clasped watch.

River smiled at him, and gently patted the soft cushion of the swinging chair she sat on.

"She is incredibly sweet. It's hard not to be a natural," she chuckled and ran her forefinger down the baby's cheek. Violet didn't even stir, but continued her comfortable nap in River's arms. "Besides, babies love me."

Dorian chuckled softly and leaned back so he fell out of River's line of vision. It didn't matter for long as she joined her brother but unlike him—he stared at the guests as he no doubt took apart their appearances—she focused her attention back on Violet.

It calmed River down. Violet's paced breaths and small face brought unending joy to River. Even though the little girl was her cousin once removed, it didn't matter to her. It felt like she just gained a little sister—and River never had one. Instead, her parents gave her three brothers.

"Is that Genevieve Carlton?" Dorian asked. River glanced at him before she followed where his eyes travelled, and soon enough, she spotted a woman in white trousers and a blood-red, satin shirt with its top two buttons undone. Even from afar, River noticed the diamonds that curled around her neck and nestled between her breasts.

Once River visually confirmed, she hummed. "That is, brother."

"Huh," he reacted which made River glance back to him. Dorian's head cocked to the side as he watched, as he measured the woman. "Did you know that her husband gave her an STD when he came back from Brazil, and that's how she found out he was cheating?"