+42

+ + +

+ + +

H.STYLES

Harry and River made it back to the villa with just about an hour spare to get changed. Even though they were aware of the time crunch, it didn't stop them from fooling around in the shower. They turned an otherwise ten-minute refresher into a twenty-minute rock-paper-scissors game as the shower head sprayed over them to decide who would get to hold Ivy first.

Harry won. He could tell it made River annoyed because she loved her niece so much but Harry had grown to love that little girl like she was his niece, too. They haven't seen Ivy all day and it was crazy how attached he'd grown to that baby. It could've been a baby fever, which he honestly didn't need, but goddamn it, he loved how Ivy fit in his arms, and how perfect she looked. Hamiltons had great genes, and—

And.

Every time he looked at River, he wished for a family with her. More than anything, he loved her. Of course, he loved her. But there was something more—something beyond love, a connection that he felt in his soul, the way it found its other half in her. That part of him wanted this life with her, the one where they had their own babies, and brought them up to be the greatest little humans possible.

It overwhelmed him sometimes—his feelings for her. It was indescribable. Perhaps in the best way. Harry didn't mind the sudden rush of emotions when it came to her because they made him feel alive.

River made him feel alive.

River made him feel everything. Love. Gratitude. Loyalty. Happiness. Success. Anything became possible when he looked at her, and he dreamed of someone like her for so long. Maybe even without knowing.

"Have I got something on my face? Why do you keep looking at me like that?" the question came out of nowhere, and much louder than he expected. Since Harry zoned out, he lost touch with reality, and the shake of her voice, however normal sounding, came across as a shout.

"No..." he shook his head. A gradual smile brightened his face. "No, you're perfect."

She was. Always had been. For Harry? There'd never be anyone who would come anywhere close to her. In that moment, the way her head tilted gently, and the second her eyes had gone soft, his heart almost stopped.

When she walked over to him, in a bra and underwear, with diamond earrings, and a matching necklace, and put her ring clad fingers on her waist, his knees had gone weak.

The minute their lips touched in the softest, most feather-like peck, he lost all his strength, and almost dropped to her feet. Begged for her to never leave him. What would he do without her? He hoped never to answer that question.

Kissing River always felt like time didn't exist. Moments of bliss captured them, and protected them from the world's harshness. Leaving that peace was his least favourite thing to do, but they had a birthday dinner to attend.