+37

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

Alden was nowhere to be seen when River made it over to his home. Jade lounged in the living room, nose deep in a novel that made her eyes turn red until they welled up with tears. It also led her to explain the story to River which would've been interesting, and even welcomed, if her nerves were not on the edge of snapping from the unknown.

When Alden did make it home, he had done so with two bags in his hands that were printed with the logo of River's favourite sushi restaurant. The sight of the bags, and the thought of the food made it easier to forget about the pending conversation, and the darkened clouds it would paint above River's head.

As they settled down, and the food got separated so Jade could have her own without the fish, the three of them got to eating. Chatting about things that ultimately didn't matter because Alden held the cards without the intent of letting it go.

It seemed he wouldn't—certainly not until Jade got picked up by her parents so they could go to an art exhibition in the city centre. Since the light, classical music in the background set a softer tone to the evening, one that reminded River of being a child, she wasn't going to hurry herself as she nibbled on the last of the vegetable rolls.

Alden strolled back to the living room without urgency because by the time he sat down, River was onto the last three pieces of salmon.

"I worry every time she leaves the house without me," he sighed, and wiped his palms on his thighs. River hummed to give a reaction since she couldn't relate. Alden nodded towards the empty plates. "Your taste hasn't changed over the years."

"I'm easy to please," she answered, honest but careless at the same time. Small talk didn't make sense. River wanted her brother to say what he had on his mind but coaxing it out of him appeared to be the only solution. "Though, I presume the dinner wasn't to mend my wounds from the Oxford Ball."

He cleared his throat. "Not exactly but I hope some of what I have to tell you will give you clarity."

"Alright," she nodded. Settled back against the sofa with her drink. "Please—begin."

To start off with an apology for what may be revealed should've worried River. Instead, she nodded as she pretended to note it, all to eager to learn about the topic. It seemed serious enough to make her brother sweat.

"As you are aware, I have known Harry for years, and there is a reason for that—besides our friendship," he stated carefully, cracking his knuckles in the process which was his tell. This conversation didn't come easy to him, and River could appreciate the bravery it took to be honest. "It wasn't by coincidence that we became friends, and he doesn't know any of this. I realise I also can't ask you to keep it to yourself once you learn everything—it wouldn't be fair to put secrets between you two, but I know I have to be honest with you. I want you to have the answers you are looking for, and I may be able to spare you some time."