+24

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

A few days later, River felt ready to burst like an overblown balloon. Many reasons held her back from the desired explosion like the fact that she used her spare afternoon to watch Jade try on fifty different wedding dresses. Truthfully, she had no idea there could be fifty different dresses in one salon considering that she never went through this experience with Kaia, not to mention she never did a proper look into such matters. For as long as River could remember she knew she'd never truly bother with the wedding scene for she knew she'd never marry for love. Of course, she hoped but parts of her always knew it would be to please her parents and therefore would have to do everything according to their standards anyway.

Then there was the unlimited champagne. The rule of two glasses ceased to exist by dress number three. In River's own defence, she went in for the first glass with a heavy hand and gulped the bubbly down in one go. Safe to say, the looser she felt the more inclined she was to let go of the stress she felt.

The champagne haze also came with a much more relaxed vocabulary which wouldn't have been an issue if she was solely around family.

"You could've had your dress tailored instead of fishing for something that will need to be altered closer to the date," she pointed out while Jade pulled her dressing gown together as best as she could. At five months, she had the biggest bump River had ever seen. There was no chance Jade would be giving birth to twins because every single check-up she had, she asked and was deterred.

However, even that singular baby growing inside of her was enough to make her sweat through the most basic human tasks. It included the trial of dresses hence River's apprehension to the dead set logic Jade showed. At every turn she refused to have her wedding dress made and whether that was pure hormones talking or something more deeply rooted wasn't clear to River.

"You know, this would be so much easier if you helped rather than attacked everything I put on," she sighed, visibly fed up with River's lack of input. A quick glance at her watch she noted that Kaia should arrive soon and save her from Jade's wrath. Though, she couldn't blame her soon to be sister-in-law. The woman had a human growing inside of her and it made River feel incredibly strange. 

Don't get her wrong, she was looking forward to being a mother. However, the thought of one growing inside her body, or inside Jade's body in this case, felt much too alien to her. How was the female body capable of such a miracle? 

"It has always been more than evident that your fashion sense is completely different to mine, and so I am still shocked as to why you thought this—" she pointed between herself and Jade, a finger through the air. "—would result in anything successful."

Jade sighed as she noted she wouldn't win against her. "I value your input, River."

"At least someone does," she muttered under her breath, vicious as she remembered back to the dinner with Alden a few nights ago. It didn't go as planned, though none if it was truly set in motion therefore the explosion made sense.