+11

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

The Forbes family were always incredibly close to the Hamiltons. It came as no surprise, given their mutually benefitting business relationship which they never secured through marriage. River always thought this was strange—how they never initiated Mila and one of River's brothers to marry to ensure their relationship would always remain.

Either way, their relationship grew to be solid, and it led River and Mila to be incredibly close. Perhaps the closest friend River ever had in her life. When the news of Mila's mother becoming suddenly unwell came, they had done so at the most inconvenient time. Though, River supposed, there was never a good time for such news.

Whilst River wished to be with her best friend to support her, River knew she would only be an extra person in the way. Mila's mother was under inspection at the hospital, perhaps the safest place she could be, and the thought of that was enough to keep River in check. If Mila ever needed anything, she would jump, but until then, she chose to respect the obvious distance the Forbes family put in place.

This, however, meant River no longer had a date for the art gallery opening. The fact that she was at the Clubhouse when the news hit, and that she'd been with Harry of all people, made her feel strange yet the idea of Harry attending the event with her brought a sense of thrill to her.

River knew the importance of favours, the power in someone owing someone else something. This time, when she agreed to take over Nicholas and Ellis's session, that was not on her mind. The very thing her father taught her from a very young age. The very thing that had kept her family where it always was, and no doubt would always remain.

And so when River said Harry could repay her favour with this event, she didn't mean it. Not really. Not how she would usually measure it. In no way, shape, or form did this occasion play into River's interests, and she certainly got nothing back from Harry being her date to the art gallery.

Well, nothing more than her curiosity being stroked. That goddamn thing—it was vicious. It drove her to do outlandish things.

Not that she could complain when she saw Harry on the side of the pavement, outside his apartment. River couldn't help it when she pressed closer to the window of her Rolls Royce to inspect the building like she'd never seen it before—correct—and could gain an insight to Harry's life if she focused enough—hopeful on her part—until, of course, the man himself drew attention to where he stood.

All black clothes as usual. The dim evening light caused him to appear like one of the paintings River would no doubt find at the gallery opening tonight, blurred edges, dreamy eyes that were edged by furrowed brows.

Tony was out of the car before Harry had the chance to touch the handle of the vehicle, the cool breeze drafted inside and brushed against River's exposed ankles. The infamous perfume Harry wore now reminded River of an old friend, of something she'd always known and could trust. Such a strange train of thought, she considered, because Harry was not a friend. An acquaintance, perhaps.