+44

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

River didn't get an opportunity to mourn for long. In fact, she was surprised her parents allowed her the evening and the night she spent at Alden's house after she left Cancun with Harry.

She decided to take control back, and prior to the meeting her father had called, she met up with Charlie. He was as ecstatic to be in this situation as River which was news to her. As far as she knew, he was glad to do whatever his parents asked of him.

Of course, she should've known she wasn't the only one who could play into a certain part.

"I had as much freedom and voice in the matter as you, River," he clarified over a steaming cup of coffee. It was seven in the morning, and raining. A true turn of events from where they were yesterday. "Less, I would say since I heard you gave your father an ultimatum."

She scoffed. It wasn't an ultimatum. And it didn't matter now that she thought about it.

"That pushed him," he continued. This made River frown as she stirred her coffee. Charlie seemed lost in his thoughts as he shared them with her. "I was supposed to be with... I was supposed to be away when I got the call from my father, ordering me to Cancun. He said circumstances have changed, and plans have accelerated. I had no joy in asking you to marry me, knowing you had someone there with you."

A pleasant surprise. The entirety of their conversation, if she had to be honest. River almost felt guilty for being so relieved to get to know this side of Charlie. Perhaps she never gave him a true chance. Not that he ever tried to show his true self.

"I always had a certain preconceived notion about you because I felt I had to dislike you, and you have surprised me more in less than a day than I ever would've expected," she admitted because she had no reason to play it safe anymore.

This man was going to get to know her one way or another, and this likely would've come out at some point.

"I acted on those preconceived notions, and used them to shield the part of my life you readily shared in your own."

He meant Harry, and whoever Charlie's Harry was. River could understand. The protectiveness over his person. She most certainly felt that way with Harry but she only ever wished to shout about it from the rooftops. She didn't want him to be a secret.

"Why?"

"Women get a lot more judgement than men ever do. It was the last thing I wanted someone close to me to have to deal with every day."

Charlie was right, of course. It made all the sense in the world.

"I feel like a victim in this situation, and I don't think I have the right," she admitted, something she had no one to talk to about. Her friends wouldn't have understood. Harry had no idea about her life, and duties, if she had to be frank. Charlie was the only person, the most surprising person, who could relate.