+43

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

River had always known people to be cunning. Viciously so. It shouldn't have surprised her when she was put in the most embarrassing, and unexpected situation of her life. In fact, it made the most sense because she was successfully trapped with absolutely no way out.

The audience to her left was filled with people who would talk of this moment for decades to come. Any upcoming social event would be buzzing with small talk around this spectacular gesture by Charles Radcliffe, who couldn't contain his love for River Hamilton.

Then there were her parents. The very people who one hundred percent had a hand in this. It was truly no coincidence that Ian stumbled upon their table, alone, when usually, the entire family would surround the Hamilton table for a short conversation.

Standing on the small podium, River knew that every single second of this was planned thoroughly. She would've even bet a fair amount on the fact that they were timing it so ensure it went accordingly.

There was nothing she could've done to stop it. She physically couldn't move. Shock rendered her useless. But they had an audience. River needed to do something. No doubt her parents were watching with awaiting eyes, Harry beside them—

Harry.

Oh, gosh.

River's heart nearly stopped. It very much felt like her oxygen had been compromised, and she could no longer satisfy her lungs with fresh air.

"River, dear, are you alright?" Charlie asked, worry laced through his words. It snapped River's attention back onto him, and he smiled but she could tell he hated every second of it. "Have I successfully surprised you to the point of shock?" he chuckled, aware of their audience, and the spectacle he started therefore needed to keep alive.

"Yes," she croaked. Cleared her throat. River forced a chuckle. "Yes, you've rendered me completely speechless. I'm—wow," she smiled, and held onto the hand that rested on her forearm. Glanced back to the sea of tables, and caught Harry leaving theirs in that exact moment.

If heartbreak existed, she was certain hers was the worst case.

Even though River didn't give an answer right away, she knew that Harry knew. He knew what she had to say as much as she knew what she had to say.

The crowd shared a laugh, and with Harry no longer present, it was only slightly easier to seal the deal made when River was ten years old.

She said yes. Charlie pulled the ring box from his pocket. And the guests stood while they applauded.

"Trust me," Charlie said as he leaned in, making it seem as though he kissed her on the mouth but he pecked her cheek. The unexpected kindness made her chest rise and fall faster. "Let's talk, hm?" he smiled at her as he pulled back, and rubbed his thumb against her temple.