+45

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

It seemed the Clubhouse was closed. There was not one single car in the visitor car park. The restaurant was empty. No sound of golf balls being hit caught River's attention, either.

Shortly after they got out of the car, Dexter revealed he ordered the Clubhouse be closed down early for the day.

"I thought you made me the boss," she glanced at her father.

Dexter hummed. "You are, darling."

River hummed back in response. Sure. How could she forget her father would always hold a heavier weight in any room, in any conversation, amongst all people?

Eventually, when the pointless conversations ended between them, Dexter hurried River along to do what she needed to do. He told her Harry was expecting her, and something about that statement made her stomach lurch.

It had been one week since they last saw each other and too much had happened already to know how she needed to behave around him. Something shifted between them back in Cancun, when she found him in their shared bathroom, and she knew whatever was going to happen between them that afternoon wouldn't be easy.

River suspected Harry would be in his office, no doubt buried beneath as much work as he could find. It was what she would've done if her schedule didn't get filled with cake tasting appointments, and meetings around colour schemes for her upcoming wedding.

Anxiety gripped her throat as she diverted her route at the last minute. She headed towards the gazebo like the raised seating area would help her find her cool. It worked before so she had no reason to believe otherwise.

Except that she didn't expect Harry to be there.

River stopped dead in her track as she watched his back. It was impossible for her to not know it was Harry. She could've picked him out of a crowd with ease. The curve of his shoulders. The curls on the back of his head that seemed as frantic as ever. He leaned against the back of the chair, and rested his other arm on the one next to him.

The smell of rain blocked everything from her senses until she closed in on him, and then he was all she could pick up.

"Hey," she said softly as she stopped just beside him. River felt incredibly awkward as she made her appearance known which made the entire interaction awkward. Her skin crawled.

"Hey," he echoed her with no surprise on his features, more acknowledgement that she finally arrived. One word seemed enough to make her believe this was not the same man she left a week ago. There was an obvious change in the way he sat—more reserved. Cautious in the way he took her in. An invisible wall between them that kept them apart.

River's heart almost broke and she could barely keep it together. Desperately wishing for a warmer welcome. It was ridiculous to have to remind herself why he chose to keep her out. Harry started to look out for himself and she should've been glad he knew to protect his heart.