+18

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

It was rare that River cleared her day completely but it happened every other month. Today was one of those special days which meant she lounged in bed until nine thirty in the morning, managed to take her of her undying need to be touched by the one person she never should've thought of with desire, then got ready for the only thing she had on for the day. It wasn't official but it wasn't nothing, either.

The family dinner turned lunch that Dexter managed to strategically fit into everyone's diaries got River to leave the house that day. Fit for the topic of the blooming conversation, the Hamiltons met at the Clubhouse in their usual spot, even if the early August weather felt chillier than before. River had no regrets as she walked across to the gazebo in her grey trousers and similarly shaded jumper, its ¼ zipper pulled down to reveal the chunky gold chain she received as a birthday present from Mila.

Perhaps River got her timings wrong but she arrived after everyone had already been seated around the table, and she didn't miss the slight raise of her mother's eyebrow. River spared a quick glance at her phone as she pulled it from her pocket and watched as the numbers changed from forty-nine to fifty, which meant she was still ten minutes early. There was no reason for Natasha to disapprove, though River often found her mother did not need an indicator.

After a couple of quick welcome hugs—Alden and Jade were back home for a few weeks after the double header race weekends—River sat down by Jax. Conversation flowed between Dorian, Kaia, and Dexter, and it seemed Jade and Natasha resumed their own discussion in the meantime.

"She's been in a horrendous mood all day," Jax commented under his breath as he turned towards River and pretended to check something out behind her. The fact that he noticed the otherwise disguised reaction from River and proceeded to reassure her made her feel slightly better. Although Jax was younger he was very protective over River and she thought that to be adorable. "Tore into Kaia because she is wearing a blue top and it clashes with Dorian's outfit."

Unable to help herself, River casually looked over to the couple and noted, with some hesitancy, that their mother was right. A somewhat agreeable sound came from the back of her throat, a hum of sorts, as she looked back to her brother and he rolled his eyes.

"I must admit—it is fantastic to see my family together," Dexter's supposed heart-warming words drew the attention towards him, a smile on his face which was about as rare as all four children and the two parents under one roof at the same time.

"It's great to be spending some time together," Dorian added before the silence drawn on too long, always the fail safe to keep the moment sweet. "I assumed the Winter Ball would be our first get together. I expect everyone is attending?"

Muffled yeses and nods came from the siblings and extreme happiness sparkled on Natasha's face. Something about the mention of the ball perked her from the vicious mood and River had a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach.