+39

+ + +

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

River Hamilton didn't know she could love someone so much without ever having met them. The out of body experience she had gone through when she picked her niece up for the first time brought her to tears. Ivy weighed nothing in her arms, and she was terrified she would drop the newborn. Being present was of utmost importance to River, and she felt such immense pride, and joy that she completely broke down once Ivy was back in her brother's arms.

"Oh, River," Kaia cooed as she rubbed her hand on River's back, the woman's voice muffled as she fought against the tears, too. River forgot every five minutes that Kaia was pregnant, and her emotions were through the roof as a default setting.

They cradled each other until River started to laugh. She was being ridiculous, and she needed to get a grip on herself. At the same time, it felt amazing to cry. In a way, it felt like a great reason to cry for more than the birth of her niece. There was certainly a lot more behind her tears but she never would've let anyone know.

She simply said, "It is that time of the month. You have to cut me some slack."

It wasn't entirely a lie. She had just finished her period a couple of days before.

"She is beautiful. Congratulations to both of you," Harry said as he patted Alden's back, and ran his hand down Jade's shoulder. Jade gripped Harry's wrist, and thanked him.

Perhaps the only person in River's family who genuinely liked Harry. River supposed they likely had the most in common.

Speaking of Harry—following his outburst earlier in the evening, he refused to open up whenever River questioned him about it. She was calm in her approach, and entirely worried. Instantly, she assumed Chris was in trouble but he denied that being the case. She was grateful he didn't leave her guessing on that matter—Harry knew River cared for his brother.

Eventually, when Ivy was introduced to everyone, and Jade kindly requested some peace and quiet, River and Harry left together. Silence joined them on the journey back to Harry's apartment where River bid him goodbye. Harry seemed confused at first, and waited for her to follow.

"I didn't realise you wanted me in your company," she informed him. One thing about River—she knew when she wasn't welcomed. She knew better than to be in places where people didn't want her. The way Harry made her feel pushed her to leave as soon as possible.

"What about dinner?"

She fought the urge to smile. "It's four-thirty in the morning."

Harry didn't have an argument for it, and refused to find something else to entice her.

"If there's nothing else, you'd like to discuss, may I go on my way?" she asked.

He exhaled, and his hand slammed into the side of his thigh. "Why do you have to be difficult?"