Chapter 9

Hi…..

Like I said, Presenting Chapter 9:D

********************

In every man's heart there is a devil, but
we do not know the man as bad until the
devil is roused.
-JAMES OLIVER CURWOOD, "The Case of
Beauvais," Back to God's Country and
Other Stories

TEMPLAR P.O.V

I looked at the man standing before me.  He stood on the same rock I had been standing on only moments ago.  It was completely dark, but I could easily see him with my wolf vision.  He stood there with his hands in his pockets and his jaw clenched.  His eyes were a dark shade, showing that he was fighting to control his wolf.

So he had been watching me this whole time? I fought against the urge to grit my teeth in rage at the gift he was talking about.

“It’s past 12. My birthday is over, Ryker,” I said tautly.

I heard the growl that came from him and smirked in satisfaction to the reaction. 

“Should have killed you the first day I saw you in the diner,” he said in bitterness.

“Just like I should have killed you the first day I shifted,” I retorted.   “Now I understand why you ran the way you did,” I said, baiting him.  I was sure the look on my face was very smug as I spoke.

There was another growl from his chest in response.  “It won’t be for long Wayne.  The curse will be broken as soon as I kill you,” he said and I gritted my teeth at his words.

He was Glen Ryker; the great grandson of the Ryker that had stolen the statue from the Greenrock pack. The curse that had been given to his great grandfather by the Moon Goddess was passed down to all their generations.  I knew well enough that the curse wouldn’t allow Glen to shift in the day. The first sunlight would steal the ability to shift from all Rykers’.

After the curse had been cast on him, the thief of the Ryker’s had become a staunch follower of the evil. Planning to destroy the Moon Temples of several of the packs’ had been the start of his plans.

“Why didn’t you?” I asked.

“The same reason you didn’t,” he said.                                                                 

The only reason we hadn’t killed each other the moment we had met was because we had been unaware of whom our true enemy was.  Now I knew that I was created by the Moon Goddess to kill him, the same way he had been created by the evil to kill me.

“Why the Waterwave pack?” I asked.

I knew now that it hadn’t been Igor who had destroyed the statue of the Waterwave pack.  It had been Glen who had smashed it.  He had then stolen the pieces of the statue and hidden the piece of silver I had found today.  His message was left to show that he would destroy the Temple soon.  But while I still lived, I would never allow that happen.