𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊

Octavia
It's Layla's birthday.
"What do you think I should wear?" She holds up two dresses, smiling brightly at me and it's really hard not to smile back, "the blue one." I point at it, and her grin widens "okayyy! It's beautiful." She says then sighs, a knock on the door distracts us both as we turn our heads in the door's direction.

Adrian appears wearing a rare smile on his face and a sense of relief washes over me, okay so it's not a bad thing "we have a very unexpected guest." He says rolling his eyes as he opens the door wider and a short pink-haired girl comes in wearing an awkward smile on her face like she's embarrassed, Lana.

I raise a brow as I stand up and stride towards her, she doesn't give me a chance before her arms wrap around me and she pulls me in, caressing my back, I slowly pull my hand up to hug her back, and when we pull away she stares at the floor "I'm sorry, I heard about what's been happening and...I'm just I'm sorry I wasn't here." She says and makes an innocent face at me.

Then she seems to notice Layla, she fake gasps "oh, hi!!" She says and immediately walks towards her, Layla clears her throat, her cheeks reddening and suddenly seeming like she doesn't want to be here, I walk by her side and pull her to me, I've known Layla for almost four months, and I've known Lana for over three years, yet the only person who keeps showing up for me when I need her is Layla.

That's why I believe that it doesn't really matter if you've known someone for a year or ten or even your whole life, they could turn their back on you in a second, meanwhile, some people who just came into your life could prove to you that time means nothing if it's shared with fake people if it's filled with jealous friends, or two-faced ones, that pretend they adore you in your face meanwhile say the worst shit behind your back, time means absolutely nothing, hell the more you spend time with those people, the more you realize how much being with them is hurting you, how much it's eating you alive, destroying you.

"What do you want, Lana?" I ask raising a brow, she clears her throat and her attention falls on me, "I'm just- I'm just worried about my best friend." She says flashing me her best smile, I laugh bitterly "it didn't seem that you were worried when I kept calling you when I really needed you, you didn't even pick up, you just...disappeared." I say and my voice cracks at the end, pain stabbing my heart, she opens her mouth to speak but no words come out.

Adrian looks as mad as I'm, "just give me another chance, I won't..disappoint you I swear." She stutters and I sigh harshly, "fine." I tell her not wanting to ruin Layla's day, "now tell me, what are those dresses for!!" She squeals as she asks Layla, "my birthday." She says softly just as Adrian talks "don't talk to her." he says raising a brow at Lana, "oh come on, she's beautiful." she says staring at Layla and I caress her back feeling her rapid heartbeat beneath my fingers, "oh!! That's so adorable, you should wear the pink one, also you know since it's a birthday and all that I think you should straighten your hair Octavia, the whole curly thing won't be attractive, honey." She says facing me and a wave of self-consciousness lingers through my veins, "what? No, her hair is so beautiful." Layla interrupts her tone defensive and a smile spreads on my face, Adrian glares at Lana "oh come on don't lie." Lana mouthes, and I clear my throat as Layla whispers in my ear "it's really beautiful, I love your hair." She says and I catch a glimpse of her trembling hands as she clenches them into fists.

not liking how uncomfortable she is I move towards Lana and guide her out of the room "what?" She whisper-yell, "come with me." I say and she doesn't argue and walks with me, "I'll be right back!!" I say over my shoulder to Layla and she nods while dropping to the mattress with Adrian.

I hold Lana's elbow and turn her to look at me, "look, the only fucking reason I'm giving you another chance is that I don't want to feel disappointed with myself cause I didn't give you a chance, so put this in your mind, Lana, I'm not giving you a chance because you're worth it, I'm doing it for closure, I'm doing it for me because everything you did proved to me that you're not worth a thing that I'd ever have done for you." I say panting, my chest rising with fast breaths and she clears her throat, "I said I'm sorry." She says, "you should be, and I'm not finished yet, you're gonna hear everything I felt, I'm done keeping this shit with me, I'm done being the person who's always gonna be here for you because you know what Lana, you don't fucking deserve it, you're a selfish cunt who doesn't care about anyone but herself." I say and anger catches up in her eyes "I was dealing with my own shit too but guess what, I always have to be here for you because you have severe trauma that needs to be talked about or you're gonna kill yourself, I think it runs in the family." She laughs bitterly and my lips part as my heart beats rapidly in my chest, tears gathering in my eyes the longer she stares at me.

"No look You were there for me but I just-I'm sorry I didn't mean to say what I did." She says and clears her throat, I'm at a loss of words, opening my mouth then closing it, no words coming out, I raise my hand and slap her across the face so hard the sound rings through the air, and she looks at me wide-eyed, I finally manage to speak "I wish I never met you." I say and she nods repeatedly "me too." She says flashing me a small smile, the fucking nerve she has.

Suddenly a hand is wrapped around my waist pulling me back, his scent filling my nostrils, and Lana's expression changes a hundred and eighty degrees, she smiles so big and blinks "hey." She says looking up at the person behind me, "who the fuck are you?" he asks, in a tone that I'd never witnessed before, she looks shocked and taken aback by his edged voice "oh, um I'm Lana Carson." She says and extends a hand in his direction, he remains where he is, his hand around my waist tightening, she slowly clears her throat and drops her hand, embarrassment and humiliation washes over her face.

***

"Who is coming?" I ask Layla, she clears her throat "I invited some of my friends, mom, and uncle of course well beside the three of you." She says and sighs, a sad expression passing through her face, "I don't think mom will come." She whispers almost non audibly, I let out a breath and blink "are things that bad?" I ask and she looks up at me, her eyes gathering with tears and full of sadness for someone so young.

"They always have been, but it became worse now that I quit the modeling." She says softly, her tears fall and she wipes them away quickly, I caress her back not knowing how to comfort her, "I don't think that anything I'll ever do is going to be enough for her." She goes on, her voice choked and full of emotion, I open my mouth and close it several times, sucking at comforting her, "it's okay, you don't need to say anything." She says pulling me away from my thoughts, "I just needed to say that to anyone." She smiles weakly at me and my heart clenches as I pull her to me.

•a vote is really appreciated 💞