𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞

Octavia
"What do you think?" I ask Adrian as I spin in a circle, he smiles at me "it's really beautiful" he says, And drops to the mattress, "where's Layla?" He asks and I raise a brow "she's dressing up and then we're gonna do our makeup and hair." I sigh and he stares at me for a moment as if he's studying my expression "what is wrong?" He asks, his brows furrowing, I groan as I drop my head back, then face him.

I sigh "do you think her mother will come?" I ask clenching and unclenching my fists, he grabs them and wraps his hand around mine stopping my movements, "I hate her mother." He mutters under his breath as he runs a hand through his thick black hair, I twitch my lips "I don't know how I feel towards her, she treats me real good but treats her daughter like shit." I sigh harshly and my brows furrow.

"Sooo..." a voice comes from the hallway and we turn to see a beautiful girl walking toward us, she wore the dress I chose, the blue dress reaches her knees, and her tall frame looks gorgeous as the dress is tight on her waist and wider around her hips, but nothing makes her look breathtaking as much as her smile does, "what do you think?" She releases a breath and exchanges a look between me and Adrian, "it's so pretty, you look gorgeous." I say sincerely and her smile widens, Adrian's Adam Apple bobs as he swallows and looks up at her "it's beautiful." He says, his face holding no expression but his eyes saying a lot.

She sighs and looks at me "now come on, we don't have much time." She says as she pulls a hand towards me, I stand up and walk by her side until we reach the door and then I turn around "Is your brother coming?" I ask Adrian and he narrows his eyes, "don't know." He says not offering me much as he stands up and walks away, cool.

Layla's brows furrow as we enter the room, "are they on good terms?" She asks while searching the drawer for something, "I don't really know, he doesn't talk about him that much." I say and she nods in understanding, she stalks towards me and shoves a bag of makeup in my hand, "you're gonna do my makeup I don't wanna mess it up." She says smiling at me as she pulls a straightener from the drawer beside her.

I stare at it for a beat remembering Lana's words, I'd be lying if I said people's comments don't affect me, but sometimes I just don't care, not this time un-fucking fortunately, "when you're finished can you pass it to me?" I motion at the straightener and Layla's face falls "your hair is really beautiful, don't listen to her." She says softly smiling at me, "I know I just want to try something new." I lie and she sighs obviously knowing that I'm not being honest but she doesn't push it.

***

I take a final look at myself in the mirror and I release a breath, looking down at myself, it's been a while since I felt like that, but I know that the feeling never goes, It's always there, in the back of your mind, you just try to push it away, so you can live a day in some peace without worrying about how you look, ok that's enough, I inhale another breath and let it out before walking away and getting in the car with Layla, "hello, Miss." The driver greets me from his seat as I get in "heyy." I say smiling at him, it's the same guy who drove us the last time who I assume is either Layla's or Nash's driver.

***

Adrian is the first one I notice, he walks towards me until he's by my side, he's in a sharp black suit and a black button-up, his hair is tousled and his face is....blank, I lean in to whisper in his ear cause of the loud music "is something wrong?" I ask looking up at him, he sighs and shrugs his shoulder, "just the normal." He says not giving me more but I push further "spit it out, Adrian." I say and he narrows his eyes then releases a breath "it's Mom." He says and those two words explain a lot more than it seems.

"What abo-" I start but my words pause when Layla walks towards us carrying two cups of red wine and wearing the biggest smile ever, I slowly smile back at her "is something wrong?" She asks when she notices Adrian's expression, "oh nothing is wrong, come on let's dance!!" I say and grab her while walking away from him, the night seems like it's already ruined.

"What's wrong?" She asks when we reach the dance crowd, I sigh "nothing you should worry about, dance Birthday girl." I say cheerfully and a smile spreads on her face, after moments of swaying our hips and dancing to the music I feel two hands wrap around my waist, I turn to push the guy away but my muscles relax when I see who it's, finally.

"Sorry, love I'm late." He whispers in my ear, as he carefully pushes me a little and stands by my side, Layla's whole face brightens and her smile widens, "you're here!!" She says loud enough for us to hear over the music, "of course I'm." He says and moves forward wrapping his arms around her as he pulls her in a hug.

When we're back at the bar he turns around and studies me for a moment, then he seems to notice my hair, he frowns, frowns. "What have you done to your hair, love?" He asks staring at me, "I-" I start to talk but he catches me to it "bring it back." He says softly, I clear my throat processing what he's saying, "you-you don't like it?" I ask my brows at my hairline, "anything looks good on you, but your real hair is so much prettier, I love it." He says, then opens his mouth again "but if you like it that way, you can keep it, of course, but-I love your noodles." He says under his breath and a bark of laughter breaks away.

"My-my what?" I ask raising my brows, "your hair-it looks like noodles, that's what I thought the first time I saw you." He says and I sigh in relief "I just thought that straight is prettier?" I say and it comes out as a question, "my love, your hair is the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen on a woman." He says, his tone raspy and breathy, my insides lighten at his words, and a wave of happiness clashes through me.

I notice Adrian striding towards us, his face twisted in disgust, when he reaches us I talk first "what the hell is wrong?" I ask concern itching its way through my veins, "nothing is wrong." He says shaking his head, I raise a brow "then why do you have this expression on your face?" I ask, "you sure you okay, man?" Nash asks and Adrian nods, he runs a hand through his hair,

Adrian doesn't get to answer before I know exactly what's wrong, a tall blonde guy appears in front of us, wearing a sharp suit like Adrian, his face is covered with a dimpled smile, and the moment he sees Adrian he strides toward us "ahhh, big bro you're here, what a surprise." Damien puts a hand on Adrian's shoulder making them look awkward cause Adrian is much taller than him, "I'm the one who invited you, punk." He says, his jaw ticking, Damien's smile widens as he winks at me, "Octavia!! You've become even more beautiful." He says casually, and I'm fighting the urge to punch him.

"Am I interrupting something?" A voice joins and my attention lands on Layla, "nothing important." I reply when everyone seems suddenly mute, Damien's lips part and he moves towards her forgetting all about annoying Adrian, Layla's brows furrow "this is your brother?" She asks Adrian and he nods, Damien extends a hand in her direction reaching forward to kiss the back of her hand but Nash pushes him with the palm of his hand, "careful." He says raising a brow and Damien nods..

"Hi." Layla says not wanting to make things awkward, "I'm Damien." He says and she nods then raises her hand "Layla, I mean you already know who I'm but...yeah." She says laughing nervously, after they introduce themselves and talk a little, moments later, Layla walks towards me wearing a sad expression on her face "she isn't coming, is she?" She tells both me and Nash as he caresses her back and pulls her to him.

Seconds later we hear a gunshot firing.