Chapter 39

Y/n's POV

I stood back, standing between papa and Melissa so I could protect her in case the villain got past papa. "You shouldn't have come here." The villain said.

"Tell me why you criminals are doing this!" Papa demanded.

"You chose the wrong place to play hero, kid!" The villain said. He raised his other arm as it transformed into another blade and swung it towards papa. Papa backed up, getting closer to the hole in the wall that he made. The villain swung his arms at him again as papa fell out of the hole. He managed to grab a tiny ledge on the wall as the villain walked closer to it. The villain went to slash pap with his arm-swords, but Melissa dashed past me and grabbed the villain's arm, stopping him. I rushed towards them as Melissa was thrown back, forcing me to catch her. We slid across the floor before stopping just short of the stairs. I heard a giant crash before Melissa sat up and scooted off me. "I'm so sorry Y/n." Melissa said.

"It's okay." I said, sitting up. I rubbed my head as papa checked on Melissa's cut on her arm. "Don't worry, the cut is hardly bleeding." Melissa said, as papa used his handkerchief to bandage her cut. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." Papa said.

"I think you mean 'thank you.' Besides, Y/n's the one who stopped me from being hurt more." Melissa said. She just smiled at papa before patting me on the head. "Right, let's keep going. We're almost at the top." Papa said. We nodded and started running behind him. I ran in front and stopped papa from getting to the landing on the next floor. "What is it Y/n?" Papa asked.

"There are some people on the next landing, and it smells like they have guns." I said. Papa nodded and got his quirk ready. I held up my hand to stop him before changing into my small fox form and running onto the landing. The villains were confused before I started climbing up the stairs. "What's this little fox doing here?" One asked. Once I got to their landing, I rubbed against their legs before sitting down behind them. "Stay focused. We need to keep an eye out for those kids." The other villain said. They both turned back to the other landing, allowing me to change back to my human form and take both of them down with my Gunhead martial arts. "Alright we're good up here." I said. Papa stepped out to see me standing on top of the two knocked out villains. "Great job sweetie." Papa said, patting my head. 

"Wow, I'm surprised that you could take down two armed criminals." Melissa said, looking at the villains.

"Y/n actually studied Gunhead martial arts and was deemed to have mastered them by Gunhead himself." Papa explained.

"That's impressive." Melissa said. We kept heading up and finally made it to the top floor of the tower. We started sneaking around before we found an open vault. As we looked inside the vault we saw David Shield working on a computer. "What's papa doing up here?" Melissa asked. 

"Maybe the villains brought him up here. They probably need something from him." Papa said. 

"We have to help him." Melissa said.

"Right." Papa said. We silently made our way over to the open vault before I started hearing what David Shield and Sam were talking about. They were talking about his research and how someone took it and a device away. Papa and Melissa walked inside, Sam mentioned that the villains were holding things down before David said something about how he couldn't have gotten his research back without the Sam's help. "Papa." Melissa said. They both turned to look at us gasping a little. "Melissa..." David said.

"Miss, what are you ding here?" Sam asked.

"What does he mean it's like you planned it? Don't tell me that you're the one behind this." Melissa asked. She started walking towards them before I took a step forward, but papa stopped me. I looked up and him and he shook his head. "This was all you? Just to steal something? No. It can't be true!" Melissa said.