Is Love Fate or Choice

A movement from the corner of his eyes made him look sideways and he was eye-to-eye to a fat winged baby. A cupid!

Brett was startled and gaped at it.

The cupid blinked at him with big wide eyes, then cooed because it was a baby after all. Or was it, it was hard to tell when the mystical creature itself was made to look like a baby. It was a mystery that no one was ever sure of.

"H-Hello. A-are you a cupid?" Brett wanted to make sure before he attacked the small baby. He had his plans and he would stick to it! The faun cracked his fingers and looked the baby over. It had the quiver on its back. And the gleaming arrows inside. His prize!

The creature flapped its wings as it tilted its head to the side, "That depends on who is asking?"

The creature could talk! Brett bit his lower lip and shifted his weight around, "I am a faun called Brett. Who are you if I might ask?"

He couldn't really tell if the baby was friendly or not but it was always the best to introduce himself first and be courteous. Even if he wanted to tackle the little fucker and rip the arrows from it.

"My name is Ajax, why are you hiding behind a tree?" It tilted its head to the other side, finding Brett weird for asking what if they were a cupid. It was never a good sign when people started with that.

"I am scared. I don't like crowds of people," he whispered. The geep was scared. Why did the baby have such a deep voice? It was a baby!

"I heard you guys shoot people with arrows. Is that true? Ray, the panther, told me."

Brett never had such problems with talking to other creatures but then again he never saw a different one as well. It was kinda strange. He thought they were stupid and childish, just because the their appearance were like that, but so far this didn't seem to be true.

It raised it's eyebrow, and flew a bit out of Brett's reach just in case. This was very suspicious even to the baby looking creature, "Yes I do, it's non lethal though if you're wondering."

Brett suppressed a cry. Why was it flying away? He was small and frightened! He should not look like a danger!

"I wondered... Can you tell who you shoot and who not or is that not possible anymore? Because I feel weird and Ray told me I could have been shot by one of your brethren. I don't mean any harm, I swear. I just want answers."

The faun lifted his hands slowly, signalling he had no weapon and nothing on him to harm the baby. One kick to the head should be enough to render it unconscious if Brett was able to be that fast. Or the baby was closer.

It stayed where it was, not gone but just out of the short faun's reach. It was the ultimate power move, to tantalize.

"We find those that are one another's true love and need a little nudge in the right direction. Do not worry though I sense none of the magic from a love arrow on you. You probably weren't shot."

That was quite puzzling for the faun. He blinked confused and cocked his head.

"But if I wasn't shot then..." His eyes turned downwards. So Eddy was not his soulmate now his one true love. Well, he was not Eddy's to be more precise. Because the deer was certainly his most important person.

Tears gathered in his eyes and he slumped down. So the fat baby with wings told him he would never have a proper relationship with Eddy, whatever that meant.

"So...," he hiccuped, "So it's useless? All this? They will never love me? Urgh." Brett felt the tears running over his cheek and wiped them away. This was unfair! Eddy was everything to him and he was nothing? It was so unfair!