5. Storm of emotions

During the journey, absolute silence reigned in the car. Can constantly alternated between glances at Sanem to catch her mood and glances at the little ones from the mirror. He could see them whispering to each other. He sensed they were up to something.

Once they arrived, outside the school they found Sanem's parents surprisingly waiting for them. Nihat had an old disposable camera with him. He only knew how to take pictures that way. Mevkibe, on the other hand, was armed with a smartphone.

"Mum? Dad? What are you doing here?" asked Sanem surprised.

"Hello daughter." her father greeted her all happy.

"We came to greet our grandchildren before they start their first day." said Mevkibe.

"Grandpa! Grandma!" All three exclaimed.

"Nihat, look at them! With those backpacks! Ah! Too many memories!" said Mevkibe moving.

"Daughter, how are you feeling? How are you experiencing it? This is a big step!" her mother exclaimed.

"I still remember when you and your sister left for school, hand in hand with your father. Eh... good times!" she recalled wistfully.

"Well, mum. I'm living it well for now. When we get in, we'll see. I've been agitated all week, with the preparations and all, right now it's like I'm anaesthetised. Is that normal?" she wondered aloud.

"And why shouldn't it be normal, my daughter. After all, everyone reacts in their own way. There is no rule. Some people cry and some don't, some people smile and some don't... so don't stare!" her father advised her.

Nihat's words were a panacea for Sanem. In her father she knew she could always find a comforting word and his total support on anything. Sanem felt like a child. More than ever at that moment, she felt she needed her father's love.

"Thank you daddy." she replied, hugging him.

"Oh!" he was surprised. "And of what, child? I didn't do anything." he replied.

"Oh... instead you have done more than you think. Thank you for your words." Sanem replied.

Can looked at her.

"Son, how about you? So quiet this morning. What's the matter? Are you not feeling well?" asked Mevkibe immediately worriedly, touching Can's arm.

"No..." he replied absently. "I'm fine, mum Mevkibe." he replied. "I probably haven't fully woken up yet. That's why." he lied with a smile.

" And tell me son. Are you excited instead? How are you experiencing it?" asked Mevkibe still elated.

"More than excited, I am very happy for them. I hope they will be better than me. I didn't like school very much, and that's wrong. As I grew up I regretted it. It is important to learn to fulfil one's duties, and not to run away from responsibilities... otherwise, sooner or later you pay the consequences. I know that." he admitted, glancing at his wife.

Sanem with his gaze kept an eye on the school entrance, making her way through the other families, but with her ears she had heard Can's words very well.

"Good boy! Being responsible from an early age is important. You are passing on good values to your children." complimented Nihat.

"Thank you, father Nihat. We do our best." replied Can, still seeking Sanem's gaze.

She meanwhile was lost in a flashback. In her mind were echoing the words she had said to Caner, the son of a village nurse, when they had found him in the wood where he had run away. When she and Can found him, faced with his running away from home to travel the world, he told her: "Caner you have responsibilities to the people you love. You can't just pick up and go off on your own. I mean... you will grow up, get to know yourself, take care of the people you love. And then... you can go anywhere you want. That is, you can even travel the world if you want! But first... you have to become responsible."