38. Valley of Tears

While all this was going on, however, someone, having hurriedly left that damn bar, had rushed to the workshop to ask her mother for an explanation, showing the evidence provided by Metin, in particular a photo, in her face.

It was Ezgi.

There was an ugly argument, perhaps one of the worst mother-daughter arguments ever. Ezgi accused the mother of not telling her anything. Because she knew. She had always known.

After shouting and screaming in front of the whole workshop, venting and distraught, she went out. She walked in the open air along the coast, savouring the salty smell of the sea. She found a vacant bench and sat down.

She stood there staring at the peaceful sea of the harbour for a while as tears marked furrows on her face, and thoughts whirled through her head.

Then suddenly her phone rang insistently. She didn't feel like answering it, so she let it ring for a long time until she gave up. She looked at the screen. "Sanem Divit" was calling.

She sighed. As much as she didn't feel like it, she answered. She felt sorry for her.

She cleared her throat and answered: "Hello?"

When Sanem told her in a few minutes update her that Deren was completely lost, she was heartbroken. She felt her heart hammering wildly.

"What?!" she answered, jumping to her feet.

Once the call was over she had to sit down again for a moment to process it all.

Deren... Her sister... was missing. She realized.

Then she got up and started walking aimlessly. Until, after finding herself in the centre of Istanbul, surrounded by luxury shops, she thought of a place.

Without a second thought, she catapulted herself to the side of the road to ask the first passing taxi driver for a lift. She got it in seconds, and for that she was grateful to be in the centre.

Direction? Deren's grandmother's house...And it was at that moment that she realized that that was also her grandmother. Grandmother Pembe.

Also someone else in the meantime, once she arrived at her destination she chased away the driver, who insisted on calling someone to calm her down. But Deren, quite distraught and shaken, wanted no one and as she screamed at the man with the phone to his ear, ready to call her husband, in a fit of rage she took it from his hand and threw it into the garden. The phone broke.

The driver, however, a man loyal to his 'lady', having known her for years, and sorry to see her in that state in her condition, decided to stay there anyway at the car, in case of need, perhaps once she had let off steam she would change her mind, he thought.

He saw her enter, clinging tightly to the railing of the few steps outside to reach the front door. Then she disappeared inside, closing the heavy wooden door behind her.

He waited.

In the meantime, Deren staggering, crying her eyes out, entered the house and without a second thought, reached her small teenage bedroom. That same small room where she had found her grandmother's wedding dress.

Slowly, feeling her legs give way, not withstanding too much pain, thanks also to the pregnancy hormones, what she felt was twice as much as she would normally be able to bear. So she let herself slide down to sit on the large, round, soft carpet laid out at the foot of the bed, opposite the wardrobe. She laid her back on it and remained there for a while, giving free rein to her tears, while from her bag she took out the envelope given to her by Metin. With quick gestures she emptied the contents in front of her and began to look deeply. There was the birth certificate, an account of Ezgi's whole life, and how their destinies were connected. She thought that surely he had a similar file on her.