31. Stubborn

Sitting in that large living room, Sanem waited to speak to the only person capable of understanding her at that moment.

Her very loyal sister Mihriban. Her second mother.

"Here are our teas." she said, emerging from the kitchen with a tray.

They were alone, Aziz had gone out. Taking advantage of the beautiful day, he had decided to drop by Nihat's. There was still the promise of a rematch from his last defeat at backgammon, and it was also a way for in-laws to be together. From there the two would then pick up the children from school and Aziz would take them to the estate.

"So daughter, tell me about it. I am surprised to see you home at this hour. Something is wrong, isn't it?" she asked.

"I swear, Sister Mihriban if I don't tell someone... my brain will burst." said Sanem.

"My God...what is tormenting you so much? Don't scare me. Come on, tell." she urged her.

Sanem took a sip of tea, and began with the following sentence:

"I have discovered everything." she said.

"What did you find out?" asked Mihriban naively.

"Deren..." she merely pronounced.

"Ah!!!" she exclaimed. "And?"

"I would rather not have known. Because now I'm in such a situation that I don't know what to do, I don't know how to behave.... " she admitted, snorting in exasperation.

"What do you mean? Come on, tell me! Don't make me die of curiosity." Mihriban begged her.

Sanem began to recount everything that had happened from the last time she had spoken to her until the discovery that morning.

"My God, child, I can't believe it.... is even worse than I imagined." she commented at the end of the tale.

"Yeah, you see now? I didn't even want to go to the office this morning, I did everything I could to avoid crossing paths with others. There are so many people involved that, how am I going to look them in the face now knowing the truth, huh?" she wondered snappily.

"If I spoke, it would create a ruckus in the agency and the company, and I don't want that..." she admitted.

"But you know not, that sooner or later the truth will come out..." replied Mihriban.

"I know, but do I really want to take responsibility for telling the truth, compromising the relationship between me and the people involved?" she asked desperately.

"This is the punishment for meddling in affairs that do not concern me. Can was right. I should have played dumb from the start and worried about the problems in my life." she replied.

"But you did it for the good you want for the people around you, not with bad intentions." Mihriban justified her.

"And then sorry, what do you mean my problems, Sanem? What problems are there in your life, child?" she asked, dwelling on those words.

Sanem hinted a slight smile and with sad eyes confided: "In all this mess, I also missed fighting with my husband." she said.

"Did you fight with Can?" asked Mihriban surprised and sorry.

Sanem nodded. "And why?" she asked back.

Sanem told him about the fight the day before at the office and the rest of the evening.

"Ah, child... what need was there to come to this, eh?" commented Mihriban.

"I can't stand it! I can't stand it when Can is possessive, making decisions for me. I never liked it, even in the past! And he knows it very well, he was one of the reasons I moved away when I was working at the publishing house with Yigit for the publication of my first novel, and you know very well what it led to too." vented Sanem.