32. Let destiny take its course

Can spent the whole night lying on the bed with his hands behind his head, thinking. He saw the sun rise, at first light, and so, not being sleepy, he decided to get up and go for a run. Perhaps, among the various ideas buzzing around in the head, he would make up his mind.

Once home, he found his family just up having breakfast in the kitchen.

Sanem's back was turned, while the children said good morning to their father.

As she had announced, she acted as if nothing was wrong for the sake of the little ones, but Can noticed, as soon as her gaze was out of their reach, how it darkened.

Despite the fact that the children demanded his constant attention, he never let her out of his sight. As he took his seat, and Sanem placed his breakfast in front of him with a smile, he immediately noticed her face swollen with tears, despite the fact that she had tried to disguise it with make-up.

And he noticed how once she turned her back to him, facing the kitchen, her expression changed in a second. It was like a switch, turning on and off. And it was costing her dearly, he could see that.

Once breakfast was over, Sanem urged the children, as usual, to go and get dressed.

She, on the other hand, already ready, took off her apron, and thinking she was alone, leaning against the kitchen counter, poured herself a glass of water in which she poured a soluble sachet.

A medicine.

As she turned the teaspoon inside with one hand, she massaged her temple with the other.

She did not realise that Can had meanwhile, after showering and changing, joined her in the kitchen, ready to take the children to school togheter as usual.

"Are you OK?" he tried to ask her behind her back.

"I'm fine." she replied seriously, without turning around, after downing the medicine in one gulp.

Then she headed for the corridor, calling loudly: "Children, are you ready?"

Sanem reached the small room and closed the door behind her.

Once they reappeared, ready with their backpacks on their shoulders, they reached the car and set off.

Once accompanied, the short drive to the agency was silent. Sanem turned on the radio, resting her head on the seat, waiting for the medicine to take full effect.

Can cast glances at her whenever possible. Every time the road allowed.

Once they reached the front of the agency, Sanem spoke.

"I'll get off here, thank you." she said seriously as soon as Can slammed on the brakes because of the queue, she had to get to the underground car park.

In a moment, Sanem was already outside, he followed her with his eyes to the entrance, until someone behind him honked. The queue had disappeared, and he had unknowingly stood still.

So, back to his senses, he raised his hand in apology and looked in the rear-view mirror and gave the gas.

Meanwhile, Sanem immediately headed downstairs to her office as soon as she entered.

As she walked down the Sanem's corridor, saying good morning to her colleagues and friends, she paused when she saw that the door to her office was half-open.

She frowned in confusion, looking around to ask someone, but they were all gone.

She approached and with her hand on the handle, she jerked the door open, looking inside.