27. Weekend with friends

That evening, to lift the spirits in Divit's house, there were the children and the news about Ayhan. It was shaping up to be a very promising weekend.

The next day, the twins' friends would come with Emre and Ilker. While Leyla and Can would join them after the set with Osman and Guliz.

The following day, however, they had decided to celebrate the happy event with Ayhan, Cey Cey, Osman, Adile and the baby. It was a way of saying goodbye to the family of actors who would be returning home that evening.

Saturday afternoon arrived and Sanem welcomed the children and their companions.

Dilara, invited by the girls, arrived with her mother. While Hatay, arrived accompanied by an old lady.

Sanem welcomed them with all the enthusiasm she had. She was as excited as her children's first day at school.

When the little ones noticed her enthusiasm, Ates immediately commented: "Mummy didn't make them the owl sandwich too, did she?"

Yildiz stretched his neck to check the table set up. "Hmm... no, it seems not." she replied.

"Ates, for you now owl sandwich = excited mum, is that it?" her brother asked her.

"Ah, don't start with the maths, eh! Ugh, all those numbers... at home too?" she huffed.

Her brother laughed. "What numbers? All that for using an equal, Ates?" he asked her. "Where's the maths here?" he asked.

"Of course this is maths! I saw it in a book. Where there are all these symbols, it's mathematics. And it irritates me, so stop!" she told him, scratching her arms itching.

"Then scratch." her brother replied, sticking his tongue out at her.

Ates stopped scratching the mosquito bite on her arm and glared at him seriously.

"Ha ha, but how nice you are!" she commented.

"Ah, look they're here!" exclaimed Yildiz.

"Mama?" called Ates to her. Sanem was in the kitchen tidying up.

"Mama, they're here!" repeated Deniz.

"Ah, I'm coming!" exclaimed Sanem hurriedly stowing her apron. She had prepared the table on the porch with snacks and drinks. In fact, the children wasted no time and ran to meet their little friends, heading straight to play on the trampoline.

It was the first time Sanem had the opportunity to get to know other parents from the school up close.

They introduced themselves and got to know each other.

Dilara's mother, Mrs Alis, was a well-groomed woman with an easy manner. Outwardly she might have given the impression of a serious and unsociable lady, but in reality she discovered through talking to her, that she was just a mixture of defensiveness and shyness. She also discovered that she was not from a 'wealthy' background, she had also been a 'child of the neighbourhood' and was well acquainted with people's prejudices. She recounted that she had met her husband in the last year of high school. He was the newcomer. His family, well-to-do, had just moved to Turkey.

Finding such an exquisite person was for Sanem a breath of fresh air that eased the initial pressure her family (especially her mother and sister) had put on her.

In fact she was delighted when shortly afterwards she saw Leyla arrive with Ilker.

The old lady, however, did not say a word the whole time, looking uncomfortable.