25. In the right place, at the right time

It was on their way back to the office that Can, having just left his wife downstairs, heard Cey Cey talking to Ayhan.

"I feel very sorry for my little sister," said Ayhan in a sad tone.

"Yeah..." confirmed Cey Cey sorrowfully. They were sitting in the small lounge set up behind the counter at the entrance to the meeting room. Being behind them, they both did not realise Can was there. He was on his way back to the office, but he really needed a coffee to get through the busy afternoon, but hearing those words, Can stopped.

"Muzo did not behave well." Ayhan said harshly.

"I didn't expect such a reaction at all. You know?" confided Cey Cey to her.

"That was really barbaric!" exclaimed Ayhan. "Yelling at him like that..."

"You are right. The reaction was exaggerated." said Cey Cey.

"My poor Sanemsi! You should have seen her after he left, the state she was in. She was crying and shaking like a leaf. I don't know how she pulled herself together and joined Guliz upstairs as if nothing had happened." said Ayhan.

"That's it, how he also managed to face Guliz right afterwards with a smile on her face, I really don't know." she added.

"That's her super power. Always smiling. Sanem is strong. And she is a leader. She can mask well even when she is sad. I know it well." said Cey Cey remembering the past.

"There, I understand that Muzo was hurt, but to think that Sanem deliberately avoided telling him about Guliz's arrival is madness. I mean, with all she did to help him.... She stood by him, supported him in writing that mysterious essay of his and even helped him get in touch with publishers. Would a person with such a big heart have ever not told him such a thing if he had known?" blurted Ayhan.

"I know, Sanem has been a really good friend. If it wasn't for her who knows what condition Muzo would be in now. Do you remember before he left?" said Cey Cey sipping his coffee.

"And who can forget it. He was beside himself. Only Sanem was able to talk to him." recalled her wife.

"No, no, Ayhan, it was anger that made him react like that. Seeing Guliz like that again, it set him off." said Cey Cey thinking back.

"I understand, Cey Cey, but that doesn't justify it. He was bad! He didn't even allow Sanem to explain, he immediately shouted the worst things at him, treating her very badly." said Ayhan.

"Do you know where he is now?" he asked her.

"No... I have no idea where he went." replied Cey Cey.

"Look, if you know and you don't tell me, we'll fight, I'll tell you!" she snapped angrily.

"I swear I don't know, Ayhan." he defended himself.

"You make me find out where he is and then you'll see. I have two little words to say to him!" said Ayhan angrily and protectively.

Can stood there in silence the whole time, realised his hands were sore, clenched into fists. Veins in evidence.

Instinctively he bent his neck to the right and then to the left, a gesture that foretold his rising nervousness.

He walked silently away without a word, black in face, back to his office. He took out his mobile phone and without a second thought called Muzo.

He did not answer.

"Coward." commented Can in the empty office, pacing back and forth out of nervousness.