28. Suspects

After a quiet Sunday spent in the company of Osman, Adile, the baby, Cey Cey and Ayhan, a new busy week began. Can was still a little angry with Sanem over the Deren affair.

Monday arrived and he hoped to distract himself a little by concentrating on the much work going on, but when he reached the office that morning, after saying goodbye to his wife, heading downstairs, he found Deren there.

She was sitting comfortably on his sofa. Through the glass windows he noticed that his brother Emre had not yet arrived.

Both had arrived earlier than usual.

Deren was anxiously waiting for him.

When Can entered, he did not notice her immediately. Only when he reached his desk chair did he realise who was in front of him.

"Good morning." Deren greeted him.

"Good morning... Deren? What are you doing here? What's going on? Is there a problem?" asked Can in bursts.

It was not like her to wait in his office.

Deren got up and closed the door.

"We need to talk." she said.

"From the look on your face, it doesn't look good." Can commented, observing her serious expression.

"Listen, if there are any problems with any projects, give me time to turn on the PC to check two things and then let's have a meeting right away, alright?" said Can quickly putting his hands up.

"No, Can, don't worry it's not about work. I need to talk to you about something else." Deren replied seriously.

"Now you worry me... What's going on?" he asked frowning.

"Come." she said motioning for him to sit next to her.

Can silently obeyed.

He looked at her and then asked puzzled: "Is Bulut alright?"

"Bulut? Of course he is fine! Why would he be sick?" she asked rhetorically.

"OK, then talk, don't keep me on tenterhooks." Can urged her.

"Well, I don't know where to start..." admitted Deren.

"From the beginning... I think it will be easier." he replied sarcastically.

"Here... Can Saturday I noticed your expression... it wasn't that different from mine." she began.

"My expression? What was wrong with my expression? What are you referring to Deren?" asked Can increasingly confused.

"I think you also thought the same thing I think..... About Hatay." she said shyly.

"Hatay? Deren, seriously you closed the door of my office to talk about Hatay?" asked Can.

"Can... don't you understand?!" blurted Deren.

"What don't I understand?" he asked in turn.

"Ugh...you men.... Can but are you serious? Don't tell me the surname Yuksel doesn't mean anything to you at all..." said Deren.

"Ah... that... you say."

"Huh, what else?" she replied rhetorically.

"See, for a moment I admit I thought about it, but you heard, didn't you? It can't be her. It's a coincidence. Let's not stare at each other's heads." he immediately replied.

"A strange coincidence though... don't you think so?" asked Deren of her.

"I mean, as soon as I heard that last name pronounced, the blood froze in my veins. I thought the past was knocking on our door again." said Deren touching her chest.