The therapist

It was a pretty day. Autumn was just knocking on the doors, the ending of September. Taylor was out for some work, while Joe stayed home, waiting for her. He really needed to do something special for her to match the handmade album she gifted him. 

He was just through with feeding the cats. He grabbed his phone and decided to give his father a call. Before he dialed his number, someone unusual called him. It was Becky, Taylor's therapist. He furrowed his eyebrows in suspicion and picked it up. 

"Hello?" He spoke. 

"Hello, Mr. Alwyn. I am Taylor's therapist, Becky" Becky spoke through the phone. 

"Oh hey. Thanks for making my Taylor better. I'm so grateful for that" He spoke kindly, moving to sit on the couch. 

"You're welcome. But do you have a minute? I need to talk to you about something" She said. 

"Yeah sure, how can I help you?" 

"Well I understand that Taylor's eating disorder has healed atleast halfway. But this is not the only thing I need to cure. Please tell me if there is something bothering you about her. If something in her routine worries you about her" She asked. 

Joe took a deep breath and thought about it. He caught Taylor crying the night before itself. And it was happening quite frequently. "There is one thing. I've seen her cry frequently in the middle of the night. And she has frequent panic attacks and when I ask her for a reason, she refuses to tell me" 

"Anything else?" She asked politely. 

"No, thats it for now. But i am worried about you know, if she has any trauma from her childhood or anything that I am not aware of" 

"Okay, Thanks for telling me this. Actually Taylor has been a victim of self harm. Has she ever mentioned someone called 'Taylor Launter'?" 

"Yes she has. I believe he used to be a friend of hers. I have no idea why they aren't friends now" He replied with a sudden interest in the conversation. 

"I thought she has informed you about this. You both used to be enemies earlier?" 

He chuckled and then replied, "Yes, but it was high school and we were stupid, so... But I have seen some scars on her inner-thighs. I have asked her multiple times about what caused them, but she never told me"

"That's it. She has informed me about those scars. And she is just afraid to tell you about them. You need to create a safe space if you want her to open up, you understand?" 

"Yeah, sure" 

"Oh, okay. Anyway, I can't disclose anymore to you, but please don't force her to open up. And about her status, she is doing really better than she was in the starting. And I believe you played an essential role in her betterment. So thanks" She spoke completely professionally, in her french-american accent. 

"Well thanks to you too" He replied, smiling happily. 

"That is our job. But anyway, thanks for your time. I'll call you when I need you again. May you have a good day" She said and hung up after he replied with 'you too'. 

He stood up from the couch, worried more than ever. What possibly might be the reason for her to do self harm? He couldn't even imagine how difficult her life is. He felt that she was so brave for living through it all. He checked the time and it was 4 pm. He realised he better get to cooking right now or else he'd fall behind his schedule. 

---

Joe washed his hands which were covered with tomato puree. He was finally done cooking their dinner. He was definitely excited about it, but her therapist's words came back to him again and again.