6.

129 ACKING'S LANDING

129 AC
KING'S LANDING

MAID CAME TO HER rooms, with pale face and letter in her hand.

'What do you  have there? Nothing good by the looks of it.'

'It's news from battelfield, about blacks and your family, my lady.'

Rhaenys takes the letter from maid hands. 'What ?' she ask. 'What does it say?'

Rhaenys starts to scan the paper unable to break off. She is nodding her head, as if she is lost for words, nodding and saying nothing.

She has a hand to her mouth to hide her trembling lips.

Then she gives a little gasp, almost a laugh.

The letter tells her about lords calling their banners and marching  their armies. The forces of House Blackwood of which had declared for her mother , invaded the lands of the green aligned House Bracken putting  villages to the torch and despoiling septs. The Bracken forces were surprised by the Blackwoods while on the march and were ultimately defeated in the battle. The survivors turned back to Stone Hedge only to find it had been seized by the blacks in their absence. The Brackens yielded and thus Aegon lost his last supporter in Riverlands.

Her mother started gathering even bigger support,  so it was only matter of time before she set march for King's Landing.

There is talk about greens marching to meet blacks in open battlefield, before her mother's army's can reach capital.
They are to be lead by no other than Aemond.

'But what about me?' she says mostly to herself 'What about me and my baby?'

Harsh truth is that in her mothers kingdom there is no place for her baby, and possibly in this circumstances not even her.

She is ruined, now she is used and useless spoil of war, no longer fit to be her mothers heir and call herself Princess of Dragonstone.

~

In the weeks before Aemond goes to war he comes to Rhaenys room and sleeps in her bed every night.

He does not touch her, since to do so would be to damage the child that is growing in her belly, but mostly because they don't have such wishes.

Since she told him about being pregnent, they are most of the time on friendly terms.

But still not as close as one would expect housband and wife to be.

And how could they be when there is so much blood split between them and their sides of family.

Some nights he comes in late from sitting with his brother, grandfather and mother, some nights he comes in a little drunk from laughing with his friends.

He has very few friends.

He admires only three men: his brother Aegon, his grandfather Otto and Sir Cole.