34.

148 ACKING'S LANDING

148 AC
KING'S LANDING

RHAENYS WAS LARGER NOW, smaller than she had been with rest of her children but larger and it was tearing into her back, forcing her to take deep breaths after every demanding action.

The stress that she felt because of the impossible situation of Alicent and Aemon was not optimal either.

There was no obvious solution, every option made her want to tear her hair out in frustration.

I thought I knew Aemond, the way he would react to certain matters but...

The closer she came to her baby's birth, the more without hope she would feel, the more the anxiety would wake her from sleep.

It felt as if she was on a stool with a noose tied around her neck and every movement would tighten it, until the final act that would end with death.

Rhaenys had always prided herself on being pragmatic, but the hysteria was gnawing and tearing into her bones, unhinging her further.

I must keep my head cool, I must. There was no other way.

A slight movement from within seemed to bring Rhaenys back to reality, where she was cozily seated in an armchair in front of the fireplace.

It was night, the sky was colored a dark blue with specks of bright stars.

Even stars die, do they not?

Everything had its time and perhaps hers was coming to an end.

Staring at the flames, dancing so vividly in their shades of yellow and orange, Rhaenys felt a heaviness spread in her chest.

Gods, she could barely take it anymore!

She had tried being hopeful, mayhaps the pregnancy would leave her with her life intact.

But Rhaenys had always been realistic.

She expected the worst, yet would consistently catch herself praying for the best, praying for the acceptable.

It was tiring to be so hopeful all of the time.

Gods, it made her want to scream!

Yet what was the use?

Why do I still cling onto the hope that it will not be like before?

The baby made another movement and she caught herself wanting to burst into tears.

Glancing at the wooden table to the side, Elia saw the handkerchief that her mother in law had embroidered for the baby.

The handkerchief was what inevitably caused the tears to fall.

It was alright to weep in this moment, for she had dismissed all the ladies and servants.

There was no one present but herself.