23.

138 ACKING'S LANDING

138 AC
KING'S LANDING

AEMOND TARGARYEN was terrified.

It started as a small cough and turned into something worse overnight. Rhaenys woke one morning with a horrible fervor and deep body aches and chills. She was far too weak to ride her horse on the way back to capital from Casterly Rock, but flying on Vhagar with Aemond did nothing to help her nausea. When they finally arrived back in King's Landing, Aemond had to carry her up to their bedroom and sat with her the whole time the maester looked her over. Aemond still sat up with her through the night as she coughed and shivered.

Aemond's mother Alicent and Rhaenys mother Rhaeynera were also incredibly helpful in keeping the children entertained and away from Rhaenys.

Aemond didn't want them getting sick or seeing her so ill and weak, he also thought that their boundless energy would be too much for her right away. It had been a few days now and they had been asking nonstop how she was and if they could see her.

Aemond just wrapped up a small councile meeting and was headed to check on Rhaenys. He knew his mother was with her now but he wanted to check on her nonetheless.

The children were in their lessons. Well, the children were supposed to be in their lessons, but when Aemond approaches his bedroom door he sees that that is not the case.

' Grandmother please let us in. We haven't seen mama in forever! ' Aemon begs.

' Your mother is sleeping, and you have to ask father. '

' But he keeps saying no ' Rhae tells her, ' he's never going to let us in, please grandmother. '

' Why don't you ask him yourself? ' Alicent says nodding her head and to indicate someone is behind them. Children turn to see Aemond smiling at them, arms folded over his chest and leaning against the wall.

' Caught ' Rhae whispers to her brother.

' You two are supposed to be in your lessons. ' Aemond says sternly.

' But we finished early, Papa! ' Aemon explains.

Aemond raises his eyebrow in question to the two of them.

' Papa, we really did finish our lessons early! I even helped Naerys and Ali too! ' Rhae says.

And like she is being summoned Naerys little voice rings from down the hall. ' Aemon! ' She calls and enters with a smile until she spies her big brother and sister.

Aemond walks over to her to take the bowl of soup that Naerys come carriying to her mother and that has managed to splash down her dress. ' Ow. That is hot Naerys. ' He says quickly moving it from her hands to the windowsill next to him in the hall.

She wrinkles her little brow and looks at him confused, ' No it's not ' she says.

' Papa please! ' Rhae begs.