19.

137 ACKING'S LANDING

137 AC
KING'S LANDING

NAERYS TARGARYEN knows it is way past her bedtime.

Her candles have burned down a lot since her father came into her room to kiss her goodnight after he put a sleeping Visenya in her crib one room over.

Her father had tried to blow out the candles for her after tucking her in but she told him she needed them because she didn't want to fall asleep in the dark.

That was a lie.

The darkness never bothered her, but with the candles out Naerys wouldn't be able to read the books she needed that she found in the library with the help of the Maester earlier that day.

That was her very important mission for tonight.

' I wish Visenya would just hurry up and learn how to read. ' Naerys says with a huff, ' did you find anything in that one,Rex ? '

Naerys turns to her dragon who is curled up, sleeping on the book that she had laid open on her bedroom floor. ' Ugh. There has to be something about where we can find dragon egg for Visenya! '

Dragons stopped hatching new eggs few years ago, so her parents were unable to find dragon egg for her newborn sister Visenya, so Naerys was determined to find egg for her sister herself.

Rex gets up from his book to walk around the young girl and seemingly push her towards her bed. Before he can get her there though, Naerys hears a wail from the baby and then soon followed by soft cries that she knows are coming from her little sister.

' Keep the bed warm for me Rex. ' Naerys said closing her book and heading out of her bedroom while her dragon hops up on the bed.

' Visenya? ' Naerys says opening the door to Visenya's nursery where she hears the sad little whimpers coming from.

Visenya is standing up in her crib clutching the bars, while little tears stream down her cheeks and her wild curls all over the place.

Visenya catches sight of her sister, and while she probably would have preferred it be her mama walking through the door she reaches her arms out to her sister anyway.

' Hold on Visenya, ' Naerys says looking around the room until she sees the little ottoman in front of the sofa in room where their parents or rarely a nursemaid could read books, or calm Visenya before bed, and decided that would do for what she needed. It takes a bit of work but she pushes it up against Visenya's crib and then she steps on it. Visenya lifts her arms and with all her strength Naerys ungracefully lifts her little sister out of the crib.

' You're getting heavy ' Naerys says with a gruff and carries Visenya over to the sofa. She sets her little sister down first then climbs up next to her and pulls her into her lap for a hug.

' Don't cry Visenya ' Naerys says patting her back and hugging her sister the way she sees her parents soothe the babies. ' Did you have a bad dream? ' she asks and can feel Visenya nod against her.

' I get bad dreams sometimes too. So does Rhaenyra. '

' Mama? ' Visenya says little bottom lip wobbling and a few tears still falling out of the corner of her eyes.

' Mama is probably sleeping. I can get Kepa?'

' No no ' Visenya says rubbing her eyes and leaning her head back on Naerys shoulder.

' You're sleepy. Come on, let's get in your bed. ' Naerys stands back up and takes her little sister in her arms before carefully as she can setting her back in her crib. Visenya starts to cry again reaching her arms through the bars towards her.

' I'm coming, I just need to get your toy ' Naerys says and retrieves it from the couch before stepping back onto the ottoman to climb back into the crib, handing Visenya her stuffed toy. Visenya immediately cuddles it close, rubbing it to her cheek, and sticks her thumb in mouth.

Visenyq pulls her thumb out of mouth and uses the hand she was sucking on to reach out and pat Naerys cheek.

' Ewwww! ' Naerys squeals, turning away from Visenya, ' Gross! '

Visenya giggles at her big sister, but it quickly turns into a yawn.

' You need to go to sleep, ' Naerys says tucking her blanket around Visenya. ' I'll stay with you so there are no more bad dreams. '

It doesn't take long for Visenya to drift off and Naerys is about to climb out of crib when the door to Visenya's room opens, and Aemond quietly walks in.

' What are you doing in here? ' Aemond asks, seeing Naerys standing up in the crib.

' Shhhhhhh! ' She says a little too loud holding her finger up to her lips. ' I just got her to sleep,' she adds in a dramatic whisper.

Aemond gives her an amused smile and walks over to the crib. Naerys lifts her arms for him to pick her up like Visenya had done to her earlier that night. He lifts her up, placing her on his hip to hold her.

' Do you want your blanket? ' Aemond asks, knowing that one is hers.

' No, Visenya can keep it tonight. '

Aemond reaches down to confirms Visenya is still sleeping, then with his foot pushes the ottoman away from the crib and walks out of the room with Naerys towards hers.

' You can put me down, Kepa ' she tells him, ' I'm not a baby. '

' But you will always be my baby, even when you are grown and marry a high lord and rule his castle, you will still be my baby 'Aemond says, kissing her forehead. Naerys wrinkles her nose at that but chooses not to say anything else on the matter.

' Father, can I ask you something? '

' Anything you want. '

' Why is uncle Daeron your heir and not Aemon? I heard people saying that mama isn't Aemond mom. '

' Oh... ' Aemond says, heart constricting and eyes stinging, feeling like he was just struck by sword.

' Where's Aemon's other mama then?' Naerys asked.

' She didn't want to be here to take care of him ' Aemond said.

' Kepa? ' Naerys says, pulling Aemond out of his thoughts.

' Yes, my little princess? '

"Did you love Aemon's other mama?"

' No! '

' Do you love my mama? '

' I love your mama very much. '

' Good. '

' You certainly have a lot of questions for a little girl who should be asleep. '

Naerys jumps on her bed cuddling her dragon close and closes her eyes ' Good night father. '

Aemond leans down and places a kiss on her hair, ' Good night my little princess. '

...