31.

147 ACKING'S LANDING

147 AC
KING'S LANDING

' RHAENYS ' CAME AEMOND'S VOICE from beyond the closed canopy of satin.

He sounded worried.

Rhaenys had not left her chambers since she found out about her ill fortune, or perhaps it was a good thing but not, all at the same time.

Rhaenys said nothing, she simply continued to stare at the curtain of the canopy, her back turned to Aemond.

Her mind felt empty, her chest heavy.

There was no urge to reply, no will to speak at all.

She just wanted to lay there until dusk fell, silent and unmoving.

' Rhaenys, ' Aemond said again and opened the canopy, infringing upon the sacred area of peace. Rhaenys eyes watered but she could not weep.

All her tears had been drained, ' You sent your maids and ladies away, ' Aemond continued quietly, ' And you leave your food untouched. What is wrong? People are beginning to whisper and the children are wondering where their mother is. '

When Rhaenys made no move to reply or acknowledge his presence, Aemond moved to lay beside her, putting one arm around her waist, his face so close that she could feel his hot breath behind her head.

' Tell me what is wrong and I shall fix it ' Aemond pleaded, kissing her hair.

You cannot fix this, she wanted to scream.

This is far beyond either of our control.

Rhaenys could drink the moontea, consume the herbs that might undo the mess, yet a part of her hesitated.

I could die, or I could live attempting it.

It may work and it may not.

Perhaps it would seem to work but inevitably fail.

Rhaenys had heard rumors of women who attempted to rid themselves of their children and failed, instead giving birth to terrible, twisted things.

' I am tired, Aemond. '

' I know you, ' he whispered, lips against her ear.
' What did the maester say, ' Aemond demanded, steel lacing the ends of his words.

' Nothing out of the ordinary, now please be quiet, Aemond ' Rhaenys pleaded, a headache ravaging her mind. Most like it was due to the hunger, thirst and baby growing inside of her but she could not bring herself to move.

The large bed, canopy and furs brought her a solace that the outside simply could not.

' No, ' Aemond began frustratedly, ' You will tell me. '

' Nothing! ' Rhaenys huffed, ' Now be quiet or leave! I am in no mood for company. ' Rhaenys comment seemed to take Aemond aback, for he grew broodingly silent and spoke no more for a long time.