Compromise?

Walking up stairs with my hand resting on the railings, I was sure that I was sweating like a pig. If I didn't look like I came out from the rain, then I don't know how that was possible.

There was nothing I found more intimidating than being in the same room as Dominic, especially behind me as I wore this tight short dress and him holding my daughter.

I never thought the day would come where I would ever allow a man like him to hold her. He didn't seem to believe it either, I could tell from the side glances I would give him after a minute or two. I did not know if he was even watching his steps or staring down at Stephanie with a proud smile.

I had never seen him look so at peace and yet so excited in years.

Opening Stephanie's room, I showed him her bed, which was next to her old purple cot. It was until last month that she was able to convince me to get her a bed, apparently she was tired and was a 'big girl' to be sleeping there.

I stood at the door as I watched Dominic place her in her bed, tucking her in and patting her a little after she shuffled before laying on her side. He murmured something under his breath again, which he had been doing for the past five minutes. I had no idea what he was saying, mainly because it was Spanish.... I didn't know much of Spanish, only basic words of course, thanks to him.

But when I heard him say amor, I knew there was nothing to worry about. The sight of him and my daughter was heartwarming. Our daughter.

He kissed her forehead before standing to his feet, placing his hands into his jacket and facing me. "She looks so much like you close up".

"She does? I thought she looked more like you.. except from the hair of course", I chuckled, which he followed, too. He looked down at her for the last time and finally walking away, towards the door. Towards me.

I gulped and took a large breath, hoping the nervous demeanor wasn't obvious, but I had a doubt it was.

He stood in front of me, his body inches from mine as I leaned against the door frame. He was so close. His cologne was intoxicating, choking me but yet, I liked it.

"Ashley, listen, I don't want to be a pain in the ass anymore, clearly I annoy the hell out of yah", he said looking at his side, finding it hard to just explain how much he knew his presence made me feel.

But he had no idea how much more his presence did to me. It made me think things I didn't want to be thinking. It made me realize just how long it had been since I was actually in bed with someone. And that was supposed to be the least of my thoughts.

"But, at least, let me have a chance to see Stephanie. It's fine if you don't want to ever see or talk to me, or maybe even never move back in—even though I'm praying you do— but the biggest punishment you can ever give a father is to keep him away from his own daughter. At least try to understand that?" He looked at me, his eyes meeting mine. From how he looked so sympathetic, I was surprised how he wasn't crying already.

"We should instead sit down and try to compromise. Make days when I can be with Stephanie, maybe even when you're at work, she can be with me".

"Dominic—"

"I'm not getting her from you. She can live with you every night. But one hour of being with my Princess would mean the world to me", he explained. I took a gulp, looking away as I found it rather hard to look him straight in the eyes. I felt guilty.

But it wasn't my fault, he put himself in this situation and I only wanted to keep Stephanie away from him to keep her safe.

"Go home. I'll think about it", I said crossing my arms tightly over my chest. He didn't say anything, examined my face for a while before nodding countless times shuffling his hand through his messy kinky hair, something he did when he was stressed.