Accomplice

I grabbed the soda drinks from the vending machine, mentally patting myself on the shoulder for carrying three large cans with ease.

I walked back through the bright halls, getting a few waves here and there from health workers and patients. Honestly, I knew that I was one of the best doctors in the city but knowing that I was this famous came as a surprise to me.

A few people stopped me from time to time which was something I did mind, considering the situation. They asked about work and even how I was holding up with everything. Of course they all knew about David, so the bracelet on me from my foot to knee was not a mystery.

After a few turns, I finally returned to the bench, finding myself next to Margaret, wondering if I should have bought her some coffee instead. Maybe she didn't even want anything to drink in the first place.

Maggie had her head resting against her sons shoulder, her eyes fixated on nothing but the emergency room door ahead. She seemed like she was about to break down, yet again, it looked like she had done it so much she was not up for it today. They both told me that Matthew had always been experiencing heart failure for the past five years, it only seemed to get worse by the year. It so happened it was one of the main reasons he retired so early, handing all his work to his son.

To me, this 'heart failure' seemed to hold something more. Even when he was clearly in a good mood or took is medication, he experienced it. The reason? Unknown.

"Drink?" I reached two cans towards Dominic and his mother. Margaret received hers with a frail smile, her lips moving to try and sound the word 'thanks', but she only held her soda just to try and not seem rude by resisting it. I did not mind.

Dominic took his drink and finished it in two gulps before tossing the can into the trash can across the hall, nailing it from all the basketball he played with my brother in his backyard. He had not said a thing since we arrived, his expression was complex as well, all he did was caress his mothers back gently, comforting even the small worry she had in her.

I wanted to say something, well I felt like I needed to. Comforting the family of the patient was something I was just used to. "He'll be fine".

Margaret nodded to agree, trying to help herself feel better from the situation. "Thank you for staying, Ashley".

"You shouldn't be thanking me. I'm supposed to be here, Matthew has always been like my dad", I smiled, taking a drink of my soda."Does he have a permanent doctor who checks up on him?"

"No, not that I remember".

"He's supposed to, especially for his condition", I informed. "Maybe if you don't mind, I could be his personal doctor?"

Dominic and his mother faced me in surprise from the sudden suggestion.

"I guess there's no problem", Dominic shrugged. In that moment, the doors to the E.R opened, revealing the doctor who was taking care of the situation inside. Margaret stood to her feet in a swift manner, walking towards the doctor quickly with concern.

"Doctor, how's my husband now?" She asked impatiently.

"He's in a stable condition now, all he needs is some rest now. Are there specific medications he takes?" He asked.

"Yes, they were given to him by his personal doctor back in Jamaica but they don't seem to be doing any good, are they?" Dominic asked curiously, the doctor nodded slowly to disagree, a frown on his face.

"Possible the medication wasn't being used right. Does the patient have a history of cardiology issues in the family? Right now he's going through tachycardia".