Shunning Death

I jolted my knee forward with as much energy as I had left, and just as I hoped, I kicked his groin, the only weakness he had against me.

David fell to the ground in pain, a loud groan escaping him as my adrenaline got me up to pick his gun and run towards the kitchen, looking for something else too to use against him. With how I was trembling and holding the gun for the first time in my life, I knew that it made no difference.

Fortunately for me, I always held a telephone in the kitchen, dining room, bedroom and living room. The kitchen was the closest place for me. I reached for the telephone there, dialing the only other number that came to mind. If I knew Xavier's number by heart I would have definitely called him. But the others I knew I could not worry; my family.

"Hello?" His voice spoke with anxiety and exhaustion, he sounded like he had been running a marathon. I did not waste time to speak.

"Do-Dominic? Please help I—I don't know—"

"Ashley?" He spoke with alarm. "Where are you?! Are you okay?! Who are you with? Is David there?"

"He's coming to kill me", I cried hearing footsteps and David call out my name.

"Ashley! Where are you?! Wanna play hide and seek?" He laughed from across the room. He did not know where I was. I grabbed the rest of the telephone and knelt to the floor behind the counter, knowing that the door was the other side so maybe I had some time.

"Was that David?—"

"Please... please come", I pleaded, my tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Hey look calm down. You'll be fine. I can't come over there right now, I'm at the police station. But don't worry, Xavier and the cops are on their way", he tried assuring me. He was not convincing. In fact, he himself sounded like he was going to have the break down. He was assuring himself, well trying to.

"My head will be blown off by the time they walk through my door", I stated.

"Ashley!" David exclaimed, causing me to startle.

"Where are you right now?" Dominic asked.

"I'm... I'm in the kitchen", I whispered. He stayed quiet for a while, so did the house. But I did not move. Not planned to. I would only move when I heard the freaking cops shoot David down.

"Get into the cabinet. I remember there's a cabinet almost empty under your sink right? Yeah get in that". Dominic spoke quickly.

"Dominic I can't do it. David is coming to the room and will see me. The sink is across from where I am", I whispered looking over at the sink at the far corner.

"When I find you I will fuck you and blow your brains out Ashley!" David said impatiently. His voice sounded louder and clearer. He was in the living room which was next door.

I trembled at his voice. Dominic spoke steadily, reminding me of that emergency call dispatcher from earlier. "Ashley, please do it. You can do it. If David gets you he will not be easy on you. Please hide in the cabinet. Do it for Stephanie", he said softly with a sigh.

He muttered a sentence, enough for me to hear. "For Stephanie and I".

I stayed quiet, closing my eyes and saying a prayer that if I did not make it, Dominic would die and would definitely be the one to put up with Stephanie's bossy attitude. I stood on my feet and slowly, quietly ran across the room, opening the cabinet doors and luckily truly finding enough space for me.

I got inside, Dominic still on the line as I closed the door. I held the telephone against my ear. "I'm in", I whispered, and as if on cue, David walked into the room.