Just Breath

Walking into the car after David opened the door for me, I took a sigh and threw the bag of toys across to the other end, feeling a sudden headache come up and resting my head in my hands.

"Sir, not long ago, I just saw Ms. Ashley marching out with her daughter, they held a cab soon after", Daniel spoke, not starting the car.

"And you let her go? Why didn't you try to convince her to stay and let us drive her home?"

"Oh sir I did".

"What did she say?"

He stood quiet for a while, pressing his lips firmly together and sinking into his seat, before finally speaking. "To piss off and get a life".

Typical Ashley. Her temper was as short as her height. Well at least to me she was short.

"Mhm, don't mind her", I said looking outside, finally realizing how dark it was now even with the many light coming from the carnival. I hated being out when it was night, especially if I had to travel.

It did not sit well with me knowing that Ashley and Stephanie were on a cab even when their house was so far. I wished there was at least some traffic, but the streets were free and the cars were driving so fast. Too fast.

I gripped the material of my jeans from my knees, trying to control my breathing as much as I could.

The light. Vehicles. Air. Everything was so fast and overwhelming for me to process. I wanted to get out of the car and take some fresh air, but it wasn't long before I noticed that we were already on the road.

"Please, drive a little slower", I told Daniel, though it sounded more like a cry.

"Sir, are you okay? You don't look so good", he said, looking at me through the rear view mirror.

"I'm fine, just don't get your eyes off the road, idiot", I cursed, opening the window wide but quickly regretting it a millisecond later after realizing that it didn't make it better. No matter at what speed you were driving, opening the window and feeling the wind blow you like a hurricane always felt like you were going over the speed limit. Maybe that was just me who felt that way.

Every minute, I told David to relax on the speed, such that it got to a point where I saw a kid who didn't look older than ten ride past us on his bike.

Before the car even came to a full halt when we drove into my yard, I got out of the vehicle, panting and taking my jacket off, as well as shoes, kneeling on my front yard, breathing as if I was the car that drove us here.

"Oh my gosh! Sir are you okay?" David said panicking, walking towards me, his arm stretched out but wondering whether to touch me or not.

I was hoping he wouldn't.

"Get out!" I snapped, feeling my heart race and surprisingly noseless. Ever been in a situation where you feel like you forgot how to breath? I tried telling myself to take a deep breath, but all I remembered to do was exhale.

"Jesus Christ, what's happening? Dominic are you okay?" I heard a familiar male voice say to me, though it sounded more like a siren than a humans voice. I fell to the ground, not knowing why my body was acting on its own. Nothing seemed to compromise.

I couldn't breath right. My hearing was disoriented. My eyes seemed to see things faster than they actually were. I couldn't think straight. My heart wouldn't beat right. I couldn't remember the last time I felt like this....

David and the other person were talking, loud, very loud. I wanted to shout for them to shut up.

A blurry figure came over me, and I finally recognized the human. Mike.