Pony

Taking a sip of my coffee, we only faced each other across the room and said nothing. It had been like this for the past two minutes. I had to say something. But the thing was, I didn't know what I was doing here. And especially here of all places.

I looked around the living room, trying to think of something else to say before getting to the point of why I was here in the first place. My eyes landed on a painting over the entrance, a painting in innumerable colors of the sunset.

"Nice painting", I croaked out.

"Thanks, my husband and I received that from my mother on our wedding anniversary", he said as he stood to his feet before reaching out and pouring himself another cup of coffee. I found it weird drinking such a hot drink at 5pm during the day. But hey, this was London, who was I to judge? In Jamaica people went swimming even during winter.

"I'm sure you didn't come here for just a cup of coffee, right?" Ricky asked taking a sit back down. I nodded my head up and downwards, alerting him that he was certainly right.

"And to talk about Ashley?" He added, earning another nod yet again.

"She came by our house yesterday.... My house", I added the last part after he quickly looked up at me after hearing me say our. I knew he didn't have a problem with it but nevertheless.

"She brought divorce papers". That caught him off guard.

"Well that does sound like something she'd do", he looked up thoughtfully. "You must have struck a nerve".

"Ricky, the reason I came here", I breathed. "Was because I needed your help. I know we both didn't start on a good road but I need you to help me get my wife back. You're the only one who can help".

"But why come here? Why not Emily or Kevin?"

"Emily hates me to the guts, we both know and can't hide that. And Kevin, pft, he's out of the question", I tried explaining. But honestly, he was my last option. I knew that Rick and Emily became quite close these past few years and if I could get on his good side, at least my chances of being back with Ashley would increase to a reasonable amount.

"Well that is true", he pointed. "But if either Ash or Emmy find out you stepped into my house, they'll have my head".

"They won't know".

"Ohh, you're so devilishly cunning. Is this some kind of test?"

"No", I said, hoping that I wasn't truly wasting my time here. He smirked before giving me a stern look. "Dominic, just tell me why you really want to get back with Ashley so much even with all the crap you've put her through. Then I'd reconsider helping you".

"Why I want to get back with her? Hell, I don't even know", I spoke honestly as I faced the floor. "I've been living so miserably without her and my daughter. Its hell. But something just calls to me like an urge or possession that makes me want her so bad. Falling in love has never felt so much like an understatement. And being close to Ashley, whether in a negative or positive way, it made me feel so peaceful. I can't tell you why I really want to be with her because I don't know either. I just need to. Y'know?"

He kept quiet for a while, so I decided to face him. His face was blank, starring at me as though I grew an extra head. He was going to say no, wasn't he?

He mocked wiping tears across his cheeks before speaking.  "That's the sweetest and cheesiest thing I've ever heard. Almost forgot I was married".

"So?" I asked impatiently and hopefully in a good manner.

"Well after all, you two did make the sweetest couple so of course I'll help you", he stood to his feet, making me repeat his action.

"Hello, lunch is ready", Peréz said by the entrance, only his head coming to view as he had a small smile across his face. That was all I heard him say since I arrived apart from the hello earlier. He wasn't really much of a talker like his husband.